VLC Stream & Convert app doesn't stream

Snow02

Reaction score
You are using the playon app on your phone, right?

OP
L

LanguidLegend

Reaction score
Yes, I'm using the app on my phone.
PlayOnSettings.png

I forwarded the port 57331, but the test still fails.. (I'm quite sure nothing else is accessing that port)
Is there somewhere on the PlayOn phone app that I should be entering the port number?

modisch

Reaction score
There's a "Stream" pull-down button in WMP7. Just check ok to streaming and enjoy the party.
And I use Skifta as the receiving app on my Droid?

yes.

Open skifta. It will go step by step.

Step 1: Choose a media source.

Click on that and it should list devices on the network, probably also including your phone. But it should list your computer.

If your computer isn't showing it, then check your services.

Open the start menu and in the "Search for ..." box at the bottom of it, enter "services.msc" and hit enter. That's the quick way to open services. Then check to see if this is running properly:

jBowF.jpg

If it is, then the computer should serve what's in WMP. So open WMP...

ZujyE.jpg

And check off as shown.

Then go into the "Organize" menu and "Manage libraries" > "Video" (or whichever media). Then add the folder that contains your videos (or other media). It should then load that all up into the library. you'll see a list of the files.

Then go back to skifta, do step one... again, it may take a minute for all of the available servers to appear. But your computer should appear (assuming you are all on the same LAN).

Now if you want to serve files to outside of the local network, I'm not sure skifta will do it. I'd have to check.

Good luck and let me know if you have trouble.

-m

Snow02

Reaction score
Yes, I'm using the app on my phone.
PlayOnSettings.png

I forwarded the port 57331, but the test still fails.. (I'm quite sure nothing else is accessing that port)
Is there somewhere on the PlayOn phone app that I should be entering the port number?

No. Even without the port forwarding, you should be able to see it over wifi. The port forwarding is just for remote access.

Make sure the computer and phone are on the same network. Fire up the app and it should see the server.

If you need, pm me a skype name or a phone number to reach you and we can get it set up in a couple of minutes.

OP
L

LanguidLegend

Reaction score
Cool thanks modisch! It's up and running, but I have one last issue: it seems that since its running via WMP, it's only supporting the WMP codecs (i.e.: I can only seem to play WMV files).. Do you know how to allow it to play AVI files as well?

OP
L

LanguidLegend

Reaction score
Make sure the computer and phone are on the same network. Fire up the app and it should see the server.
Yes they're on the same local network, and when I open the PlayOn app, I see my computer and I see the Music, Video, and Pictures folders. But when I select Video>Folders>Movies>file.avi, it says "The selected folder contains no media items" (it seems to be treating video files as folders..).
If you need, pm me a skype name or a phone number to reach you and we can get it set up in a couple of minutes.
My AIM is LanguidLegend (or [email protected], not sure which)

OP
L

LanguidLegend

Reaction score
OK, scratch that. I guess that's only b/c it was not finished loading the files..
So now I select a file and it says "Adobe Flash is required to view this video. Please install Flash and try again." However, I have already installed Adobe Flash from the Market..

OP
L

LanguidLegend

Reaction score
Ok, one last question: how do I access My Media from outside my LAN (via my external IP)?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
L

LanguidLegend

Reaction score
It appears to be correct. If that router is behind a modem though you'll need to handle the port forwarding there.
What do you mean behind a modem? (I have cable internet from the wall outlet into the modem which goes into the router and from there, into my computer.)
How do I access my modem settings? (I have an Arris brand modem)

Snow02

Reaction score
You access the modem like you do the router, in a webpage. You just need the address. It's probably 192.168.0.1. But you can find it by typing
ipconfig /all
at a command prompt and it will be the gateway address or dns server. Whichever is different from your router address.