Virus on my Droid/Facebook app???

bfranker

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I was just told by a Facebook bud that I sent him a spam message to his Facebook inbox! I logged into Facebook via my home computer and went to my Facebook sent items folder and noticed that I sent out 4 spam messages to 4 different people and these were sent 6 minutes apart. At the bottom of each message was "Sent via Facebook Mobile" which I'm pretty sure is the native Facebook application that comes on the Droid.

I did some searching and didn't see where this seemed to be a common problem?

I don't go to crazy places on the phone so not sure how I would have got a virus on the phone.

Is anybody familiar with this, where it comes from, and how to fix it to make sure it doesn't happen again? Each of the spam messages start with ")) name ))" where name is the name of the person I'm sending the spam to and then this is followed by a link that goes to a spam site.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Doubt it came from your Droid....

tehpriest

Reaction score
Someone else just posted something simular. Can't remember where it was now though.

OP
B

bfranker

Reaction score

I wouldn't think so either but something "odd" is going on because messages sent from my Droid indicate 'Sent via Facebook Mobile' and messages sent from my computer do not. So, not sure what the heck is going on. I doubt they "guessed" my password either. Weird.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
That is a Facebook issue, I have seen people come into my work about their page sending spam messages. Honestly the best thing to do is first change your password immediately, and if gets worse you have to make a new Facebook page. I know it sucks, I've had this conversation multiple times with college students, but it's the only way to be safe.

OP
B

bfranker

Reaction score
Someone else just posted something simular. Can't remember where it was now though.

Hmm... maybe somebody hacked into some server or something and figured out how to send spam where it looks like it comes from the phone but really doesn't? LOL Don't know but do know this is the first time I've ever had an issue like this before. I'm very careful about where I go on the web and have all the virus/spyware crap running so I *don't* have issues like this.

papy72

Reaction score
I think messages from the stock FB app are labeled as "Sent from Facebook for Android".

Do you use your browser to go to the touch site? Maybe that's how it got out.

The stock FB app doesn't even have the capability of sending inbox messages.

HeroNova

Reaction score

I wouldn't think so either but something "odd" is going on because messages sent from my Droid indicate 'Sent via Facebook Mobile' and messages sent from my computer do not. So, not sure what the heck is going on. I doubt they "guessed" my password either. Weird.

It could have been sent by someone else's Facebook Mobile, a person who hacked into your account could have used a mobile device to send the spam.

OP
B

bfranker

Reaction score
That is a Facebook issue, I have seen people come into my work (Apple Certified Repair Center) Honestly the best thing to do is first change your password immediately, and if gets worse you have to make a new Facebook page. I know it sucks, I've had this conversation multiple times with college students, but it's the only way to be safe.

Thanks. In some Google searching I did see mention of spamming with the iPhone.

I changed my password right when I was notified so we'll see what happens. I'm going to uninstall the Facebook app on the Droid as well until I'm sure this stops.

OP
B

bfranker

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.

I just uninstalled Bloo and the updates for the Droid Facebook app... didn't see how to completely remove it but when I clicked it, it asked me for my password again and I just exited out so it should be good.

We'll see what happens from here. This pretty much sucks. LOL

diverbelow

Reaction score
I think messages from the stock FB app are labeled as "Sent from Facebook for Android".

Do you use your browser to go to the touch site? Maybe that's how it got out.

The stock FB app doesn't even have the capability of sending inbox messages.

You are correct. So it was not sent via the stock FB app for the Droid. I would also recommend changing your password just be on the safe side.

Jus Cruisin

Reaction score
I don't do facebook but the last place I worked at there were constant viruses attributed to facebook attacking the computers keeping the IT dude busy.