Video Playback issues on Droid X

Y2Bogus

Reaction score
I just recently upgraded to the X from the original Droid. I'm running into an issue when playing back some video files that worked great on the stock Droid Player, but have issues on the Droid X stock video player.

First, some background issue on the video files. These are files I encoded from a Blu Ray source (multiple movies). I use 848x480 as my resolution, 24fps, 1500kbps video H.264, and 160kbps Audio AAC. The resulting files play pretty flawlessly on my old Droid, and on my PC, but when I put them on my Droid X, the playback is choppy.

The audio is normal, but the video plays back almost as if it's skipping every other frame. I tried other players from the marketplace, and they all experience this, except for the demo of Rock Player. Rock Player unfortunately has another issue where when I seek back and forth the audio goes out of sync, but that's another issue.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Or does anyone have other settings they reccommend?

PSUlion01

Reaction score
Same here. I have a ton of stuff that was encoded for my ipod touch (non blu-ray dvds) and playback using every player I could find was choppy, but in a subtle way, just like a frame rate issue. Playback onipod is fine and interestingly enough the same file plays perfectly on my wifes incredible. Very frustrating as I was banking on the x's larger screen for video playback while commuting to work. Did you ever find a fix for this? I thought it was my encode settings but after seeing perfect playback on the incredible I'm thinking its another quirk with the x. Will probably swap this for the inc if I can't find a solution as I'm too heavy a video user to sacrifice the smooth playback.

OP
Y

Y2Bogus

Reaction score
I've tinkered with trying other players in the market. Act 1 and mPlayer have the same issue, but as I said before, rockplayer doesn't. I also have had great luck with Astro Player. The playback is nearly flawless on the astro player.

Also, an interesting thing about Rockplayer is the 2 play modes. If I play the video in "system player mode" I get the chopiness, but when I play it in "normal" mode I get no choppiness, but poor audio sync.

This leads me to believe that the issue is within whatever "package" in the X that plays videos. Players that use the default "package" seem to exhibit the symptoms, but players that use their own seem to not have the issue.

I'm not deep enough into the inner workings of the X to know if what I'm saying is accurate or plausible, but it's something that popped into my head.

PSUlion01

Reaction score
I just recently upgraded to the X from the original Droid. I'm running into an issue when playing back some video files that worked great on the stock Droid Player, but have issues on the Droid X stock video player.

First, some background issue on the video files. These are files I encoded from a Blu Ray source (multiple movies). I use 848x480 as my resolution, 24fps, 1500kbps video H.264, and 160kbps Audio AAC. The resulting files play pretty flawlessly on my old Droid, and on my PC, but when I put them on my Droid X, the playback is choppy.

The audio is normal, but the video plays back almost as if it's skipping every other frame. I tried other players from the marketplace, and they all experience this, except for the demo of Rock Player. Rock Player unfortunately has another issue where when I seek back and forth the audio goes out of sync, but that's another issue.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Or does anyone have other settings they reccommend?

Just tried rockplayer again and astro for the first time and had horrible results with both...almost as if the movies were playing in slow motion. Then tried rebooting the phone and guess what? No lag or choppy playback. Maybe the droid was just choking a bit? Can you try rebooting and then see how your playback is and let me know?

Seems like a simple fix but it's totally ridiculous. I never had this kind of issue with my first gen ipod touch and my wife's inc doesn't seem to have the problem. I don't get why a device as powerful as the x would have such a hard time with a standard def dvd encode at average settings. Its not like I'm trying to rip blu-ray discs and playback at 1080p via hdmi.

Let me know how things go after the reboot.

OP
Y

Y2Bogus

Reaction score
Yeah, I've rebooted, but the issue still persists for the stock player.

mpaine

Reaction score
Video Playback issue on Droid X

I have the video playback issue too, choppy and loses audio sync, but seems to only affect certain phones. I tested with my friends X and his played fine, we swapped media cards too, because ours SD cards were different brands, to see if that was the issue. I just upgraded to Froyo hoping that would solve it, did not. I'm guessing it has to be a firmware issue, something OS updating doesn't modify.

timrock

Reaction score
my videos have been playing fine. all encoded using handbrake with the ipod/itouch present. only issue i am having is with the backlight, it tends to go out after a few minutes. this never happened before. the video keeps playing and i can see it, but it gets dim.

Reflex-Arc

Reaction score

Sorry to bump an old thread, but Google brought me here. I'm having this exact same issue, same file types, recent move to the Droid X, and video playback with a choppy frame rate.

These videos play perfectly on my D1, and on my GF's Incredible, but, just like the OP states, they play back as if they are skipping frames.

I, too, have tried multiple players with no joy. Is this common or did I get a bum DX? Are there solutions?

Thank you. :)

japhsoncross

Reaction score
Hi, i got milestone2(Droid2), and i do have the choppy play back of mp4 file (H.264 + AAC) with the stock video player, but when i set the audio sampling rate from 48KHz to 44.1KHz, i got smooth playback. i hope this information could be useful for you.
BTW: i have audio/video sync problem after seeking position during playback, i don't find a solution yet...

OP
Y

Y2Bogus

Reaction score
Wow, changing the audio sampling rate completely cleared it up. That's awesome!

japhsoncross

Reaction score
about the seeking problem, i only found a work around...keep the video is encoded with H.264 Baseline Profile.
This phone is able to decode H.264 Main Profile and even High Profile, even with high bitrate (around 6000kbps), and the playback looks quite well without seeking position. i think this could be a software problem...

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
Hi, i got milestone2(Droid2), and i do have the choppy play back of mp4 file (H.264 + AAC) with the stock video player, but when i set the audio sampling rate from 48KHz to 44.1KHz, i got smooth playback. i hope this information could be useful for you.
BTW: i have audio/video sync problem after seeking position during playback, i don't find a solution yet...

I have a Droid X also. For me, the video playback is smooth and the audio only gets out of sync if I pause/resume or seek position in the video. If I leave the video playing from beginning to end without stopping, it works okay but the audio sync degrades towards the end.

If I have time to watch a movie from beginning to end, I wouldn't be watching on my DX.

I've scoured the net for a fix but nothing worked until I used your suggestion of changing the sampling rate from 48KHz to 44.1KHz and that fix the audio sync issue for me. I can pause/resume and seek position and everything is synced up correctly! dancedroid

BTW, I am using Handbrake to encode my videos using H.264 Baseline Profile, video 1500 bitrate, ACC Stereo 160 bitrate. When I sample audio at 48KHz, the pause/resume, seek position makes the audio go out of sync. At 44.1KHz, audio sync is fine.

Hopefully, there will be a solution to play video at higher H2.364 profiles. It would be nice to have a video that you can play on your DX and would look and sound great playing through HDMI on a big screen TV.

Thanks, japhsoncross!