Verizon Starts Rolling Out Lollipop to the Samsung Galaxy S4

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Mine went smoothly after FDR. The only negative I've noticed, and I'm not sure it's not just my imagination, but it seems I'm getting more battery usage than before. Other than that, all seems well.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Update unsuccessful :(. I unrooted with SuperSU after loading all my frozen app back up, it prompted me that I needed two updates to upgrade to lollipop, the first was successful, and the second one was unsuccessful and won't upgrade me no matter what I try =[

Anyone know if they had less than 3GB for the install to happen? I have about 2.6GB free, but it said that was good enough for the upgrade. I've read online for the update on AT&T that you needed 3GB free for the installation.

Last edited:

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
@RyanPm40 are you on Verizon?? You should have ODIN´D back to stock before trying. I would use the 4.4.2 NK1 image. If you need help, feel free to message me on here or hangouts! ;)

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Not sure if this is happening to anybody else or not but I'm having trouble with apps closing down and / or not loading.

Amagine

Reaction score
Nice to see!. Although, I've got mine on hyperdrive. So hopefully this means I'll get a 5.0 base here soon!

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Thanks man! Yeah, I was able to odin back to stock. Most recent image I could find was NC5, so I had to go through quite a few upgrades, but it ended up working out! :)

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ok everyone!! Here is my rundown after upgrading!! ;)

SO, I had no issues installing the update. It installed great and I ran it for over 24 hours. Noticed a few little hiccups after installing, like updated play store and services took time to execute. Radios went a little crazy during the 24hrs as it reset the modems.

So...I completed a backup, and two FDR´s, Waited 5 minutes between each one.

Set up device as new...and reinstalled all apps clean!!! ;)

Improvements:
Radio is more stable, remains at 4G better and stronger signal.
Battery life is equivalent to KitKat.
5G Wi-Fi connection is more stable and faster. 2.4G seems a bit faster also.
CAN MOVE APPS TO SDCard!!
All the major hiccups of KitKat appear gone!

Disadvantages:
Chrome is slower to load anything at this point.
Less free memory......uses about 200MB more then KitKat did.
Samsung left all there apps inside the device that are no longer usable!! (Samsung hub, video purchases)

Other then these few minor things...

I LOVE LOLLIPOP!!!

I HIGHLY recommend the upgrade!!

dyno

Reaction score
Did they remove the menu settings when you tap the left button?

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Did they remove the menu settings when you tap the left button?
It depends...at the home screen, it will pull up home screen only settings. But like in Tapatalk it opens the menu wherever you are. Hope that helps and answers your question.

Here is an image from home screen.

7a4de38014f07bf7f958efad63d89f2d.jpg

kocuba

Reaction score
I downloaded and installed the update yesterday. I did not do an FDR(call me crazy). Been almost 24 hours and no real problems.

A couple of times when coming out of an app, by hitting the home button, it would come to my old lock screen window. I am currently using a third party app lock screen. But that has stopped now.

Just realized that my Google search bar was deleted.

Still think it is too early to tell on battery life for me.

MrTommy

Reaction score
As a new Galaxy S4 owner, I just downloaded the 5.0.1. upgrade. Only had the phone for 5 days when this all happened so I really can't compare before / after. I WILL say, I love the phone! It's SO much faster at everything than my old Moto Razr Maxx. I bought it outright to save my unlimited data plan on Verizon - and I DO use a lot of data!

I like the screens, and I really like the camera. It's almost as good as my Galaxy camera! I'm in love . . . :D

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
My wife had been putting off the update but overnight it forced it's way through. Killed her sd card. Phone won't recognize it and my PC won't even recognize it. Good times. HAHA Samsung and VZW, you can choke on your lollipop. :ninja:

Yes, it should have been backed up but...it's not.