Verizon charges for navigating using cell towers

KenH

Reaction score
I've been searching the forum for a couple of hours now and can't seem to find the answer, although I'm sure it's here somewhere. Anyway, on my Droid, if I go to "Settings" and then to "Location & Security" and activate "Use wireless networks", will I be using voice minutes when I navigate using the "Car Home" app on my Droid (since I'm using the towers for location information)? I called customer service at Verizon, and the rep said no I wouldn't be using minutes, but he didn't sound too sure of his answer.

Thanks,

KenH

liquidzoo

Reaction score
You're still using Data; you're just not using the GPS that's in the phone, so your navigation won't be as accurate.

ndhill1976

Reaction score
You won't be charged minutes, but FYI; Verizon does record their calls and will refer back to them. So even if you were charged, you can get reimbursed because the rep told you that you wouldn't.

I called and asked if I would be roaming when I was in Puerto Rico, and the verizon rep told me no.

I was roaming in Puerto Rico and got charged like $200. I called back and they weren't going to do anything until I told them that I called on a certin date and she told me that I would not be charged. They listened to the tape and gave me a refund.

OP
K

KenH

Reaction score
I must be confused. I thought I read somewhere that if I turned on both "GPS satellites" and "wireless networks" I'd get better accuracy than with just having the GPS feature turned on and leaving "wireless networks" turned off. Thanks.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I thought the wireless was used only when gps signal was poor. maybe I was way off.

liquidzoo

Reaction score
Wireless Network will triangulate your position using as many cell towers as you are connected to at any given time, but it's not terribly accurate.

GPS gets its information from the satellite, the same way a Garmin or TomTom would. Way more accurate, but also uses way more battery.

Neither will be charged by VZW on the Droid, though navigation on other phones does incur a monthly charge.

Owhat

Reaction score
Wireless Network will triangulate your position using as many cell towers as you are connected to at any given time, but it's not terribly accurate.

GPS gets its information from the satellite, the same way a Garmin or TomTom would. Way more accurate, but also uses way more battery.

Neither will be charged by VZW on the Droid, though navigation on other phones does incur a monthly charge.
Very good to know. Thanks!

OP
K

KenH

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I'll keep the battery issue in mind when I navigate. It could become an issue.

Thanks,
KenH

liquidzoo

Reaction score
The only time I ever use the navigation is when I'm in the car, and my phone is plugged in any time I'm in the car anyway; so it's not a big deal.

BWatts

Reaction score

Ah I'd wondered about this, too. I'm wondering if there's a speed difference as far as pulling up directions, as I've navigated a few times and it seemed to take forever, then other times it was really quick and the distance and such was not so different than when it was slow.

Has anyone else noticed if there was a speed difference using GPS vs. network for navigating?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There can be, depending on how long it takes to get a GPS fix. However, the time it takes to obtain a GPS fix isn't a constant amount. It can definitely vary.

Accuracy is the biggest difference. Triangulation is fairly useless for navigation. I've seen a margin of error up to 2100m or so.

I called customer service at Verizon, and the rep said no I wouldn't be using minutes, but he didn't sound too sure of his answer.
I think this was addressed above but minutes aren't used no matter what. Minutes are for voice calls. That's it.

Last edited:

BWatts

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer Takeshi! I guess I won't even worry about the network aspect of navigation, as that margin of error is pretty dramatic.

Shame that GPS sometimes takes so long, which seems longer if you're already lost and in a busy area needing guidance ASAP. Oh well, I guess the key is just to plan ahead to use navigation and wait for directions before going anywhere.