Using an older tablet

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
What's the danger of using an older tablet as far as hacking, malware, or general safety goes? I'm debating on upgrading our tablets. They still work fine but aren't supported anymore. We don't side load anything so is there really a danger to using them? I have a Tab A 8' from 2017 and my wife uses a Tab A 10" from the same time frame. They are basic but do everything we need them to do just not as fast as our phones. If I upgrade it'll be to the new Tab A.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
This is just my 2 cents (as an IT technician), one of the keys is what you already said....you won't sideload apps from unknown sources. If you practice safe browsing habits and the browser on them is still supported thru Play Store updates you will probably be fine. I don't think Android is as prone to as much of the malware and hacking as Windows....yet. It does happen, but in many cases it's from unsafe apps. I carried an old Samsung phone as my work phone (issues by my company) for years and never received a single security update. I kept apps updated via the Play Store and never browsed to sites known to be bad, never clicked links from someone I didn't know, etc and never had an issue with that device over a 4 year span. Again, just my 2 cents.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
LoudRam

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
That's what I was thinking, I just needed some confirmation. Thanks