No music from ASUS tablet to powered amplifier

BigDaddyRhino

Reaction score
This is weird.

I work in college dining and we use a tablet to play music for our dining hall. We currently have an older tablet that is beginning to fail, so I got a new ASUS MEMO 7 to replace it.

We use a 1/8 to RCA Stereo cable that plugs into an amplifier that feeds the speakers in the hall. When we plug in the tablet, we can't hear any music from IHeartRadio. We can hear the tablet's tech sounds (beeps when adjusting volume, etc...) but no music at all.

I've checked the jack on the tablet. It works with my headphones and my desktop speakers, but when we plug into the amp- nothing but beeps and boops. I've adjusted the volume on the tablet and still I find nothing.

Am I missing something? Please help!

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
This is just a wag but my thinking is that the speakers are drawing more power than the tablet is outputting. We have an ASUS Transformer Forum as a part of our forums. You may be able to get more input here.Asus Eee Pad Transformer Forum

Is the power cable plugged into the tablet when you're trying that?

OP
B

BigDaddyRhino

Reaction score
This is just a wag but my thinking is that the speakers are drawing more power than the tablet is outputting. We have an ASUS Transformer Forum as a part of our forums. You may be able to get more input here.Asus Eee Pad Transformer Forum

Is the power cable plugged into the tablet when you're trying that?
We've used various tablets and phones with no trouble. Again, the tablet is plugged into an amplifier that provides power to the speakers. The point of the amp is so you should be able to plug any source and then it powers and amplifies the signal.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Are there options in the settings for Accessories? I'd double check those. Weird that it'll work with headphones and other speakers but not these. I'm assuming you're not changing anything when switching between each other than plugging one in, removing, plugging the next one in.

OP
B

BigDaddyRhino

Reaction score
Are there options in the settings for Accessories? I'd double check those. Weird that it'll work with headphones and other speakers but not these. I'm assuming you're not changing anything when switching between each other than plugging one in, removing, plugging the next one in.

It's very, very weird. I don't see any additional options in settings. It's actually a pretty nice tablet for the price. It's on Android 4.4.2 and I am absolutely stumped. I'm on hold with ASUS tech support right now.

OP
B

BigDaddyRhino

Reaction score
Let us know if they come up with anything. If not, we can try to continue to dig further.

Just hung up with them. They told me to try a different cable to the amp. The cable works fine with every other device.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I know you said you had an old tablet hooked up, but have you tried hooking up your phone or computer to the amp with that cable?

I'm still thinking its got something to do with the tablet itself if you can get some sounds from it to play, but not the music. Are you sure you've got media volume turned up & not notification volume or something?

OP
B

BigDaddyRhino

Reaction score
Let us know if they come up with anything. If not, we can try to continue to dig further.
I know you said you had an old tablet hooked up, but have you tried hooking up your phone or computer to the amp with that cable?

I'm still thinking its got something to do with the tablet itself if you can get some sounds from it to play, but not the music. Are you sure you've got media volume turned up & not notification volume or something?

We use basically the same setup downstairs in our campus bar. I took the new tablet down there, plugged it in and presto! It works.

So, I took the old tablet from the bar back up here, (it's also an ASUS) and it doesn't work up here, either. iPhones work, Droid phones work, laptops work and this crappy old dying tablet we have also works. For whatever reason, ASUS tablets don't.

I'm stumped.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't think you are following my reasoning. I'm trying to find out if the problem is that the tablet is not outputting enough power and trying it on the charger may tell you if that's where the problem is.

I don't know if you checked out the link I provided but there have been situations that were similar that were corrected by applying power to the tablet. I do not know if that's a solution, just trying to rule that out.