usb mount for car stereo

coolcutter

Reaction score
Has anybody figured out a way to get the galaxy nexus to work through usb (mass storage). I am asking because I often play music from my phone through my car stereo. Bluetooth is an option but the bluetooth on this phone is terrible when doing so. The audio cuts out 10-20 times a minute. Have searched the web but can find no solutions. Please help!

???

Reaction score
i would like to find one too.. i have a usb port on the front of my radio. it will play just about any format straight from a flash drive, but plug in a phone and it just comes up device not found.

i thought it might have been just my old d1 but the nexus does it too. i can charge it very slowly from there thou haha.

as for bluetooth my car radio doesn't have it built in, but i picked up a add on one for my girls car and its works flawlessly for her. she has a thunderbolt thou, so maybe it wouldn't work as great with the nex for some reason, i'd have to try it. but i've been thinking about getting one since this usb port doesn't work, and the 3.5mm aux in port sounds like crap for some reason and eats battery, which the usb wouldn't. and even her bluetooth setup doesn't seem to do.

OP
C

coolcutter

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question but did u put the phone into usb mass storage mode after you connected the phone to the usb port?

???

Reaction score
yeah, but by the time it gives me the option on the phone, the radio displays no device. and i can't search again without pulling the usb and starting all over again.

seems like something doable with an app. but no idea how or which one.

Zane_Grey

Reaction score
When you plug the phone into a USB it tries to install drivers for it to work. So stereos won't recognize the phone. The bionic had an option to disable this so it would work for stereos. Haven't checked in the nexus settings. Maybe it could be built into a rom?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
C

coolcutter

Reaction score
I've had 3 other android phones before the gnex and usually once u set them to usb mass storage they would automatically connect that way every time after until u set it to a different setting. The problem with the gnex is that it does not support mass storage mode. I was hoping someone could figure out how to partition a portion of the memory and create some sort of hack to get it to connect that way. Doesn't seem to be gathering much interest from anybody though as it seems you are the only one to reply to this thread. Guess it's a rather unique problem. Either way, this is my only option because the bluetooth streaming on the gnex outright sucks!

OP
C

coolcutter

Reaction score
I also know Kenwood has a specific app to connect your phone to usb on their specific lineup of radios but it requires, again, usb mass storage support.

???

Reaction score
what phones did you have that you got it to work on?

mine happens to be a kenwood. and i can test it out on my old d1 if that was one of them.

but i never got it to work the few times i tried in the past.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I know its not what you are after, but if you have a front USB port on your car stereo then I would imagine you also have an Audio In port as well...other than not being able to control the phone through the stereo, why not go this route? The audio cable is like $3 at WallyWorld....just an option....

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

???

Reaction score
I know its not what you are after, but if you have a front USB port on your car stereo then I would imagine you also have an Audio In port as well...other than not being able to control the phone through the stereo, why not go this route? The audio cable is like $3 at WallyWorld....just an option....

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

got one, sounds like crap to the point i don't even use it.

???

Reaction score
well the kenwood app didn't work at all with my kenwood.

maybe someday they will sort this out