Update leaked 2.2 to official 2.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
I posted this is the other tthread but I will post it here as well. This probably wont work but its worth a shot.

http://koush.tandtgaming.com/motorola/droidx/MB810_MBM_27.01.zip

Has anyone tried using this sbf to go back to the old bootloader the use the 2.1 sbf again?

With a shot for those that are currently bricked
The only test I'm aware that has been done so far is to attempt to replace just the mbmloader. That failed -- and it is good that it failed, because in a situation where the signing keys have changed, you need to replace the entire HAB chain, not just one piece. At a minimum you'd need to put back the old mbmloader and mbm as a pair. That should let you then flash on an old SBF as long as the SBF had everything else (CDT, LBL, and so on). But that's just theory. Someone with an OTA'd DX should try it I suppose, but they may not want to risk actually bricking their phone. Right now a current SBF would fix it. If you screw up the mbmloader, you're all done.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
If this is the case then who cares about bootloaders haha. That it's awesome news if it's true that you can just remove parts of the ota. So I don't get why people make a big deal about it. Ignore the locked bootloader and just remove parts. Is it simple to disable the HAB? Or does disabling it require cracking at least one bootloader version? If so...not gonna happen. Brute force is out of the question...and I might be a pessimist but also a realist. I highly doubt it'll be an obscure group of android "hackers" who crack encryption like that.
Well, today it matters because you can't just edit the OTA and take out what you don't like because then stock recovery won't run it. You could try to run the edited one in post-boot recovery, but post-boot can't update the kernel, etc.

No, disabling the HAB is not simple. But I do think it has been done. You'll never crack the encryption, so you have to find ways to evade it.

Exactly. I think it's fairly certain (and by fairly I mean absolutely haha) that the bootloader is not going to be cracked and finding ways around it is the only option. If the HAB disabling can be done (I have zero idea what that entails) then that would be awesome. Let's hope someone can get it done dancedroid cuz I feel bad for the X users who have such an awesome phone with a ridiculous amount of potential but are limited by Verizon/Motorola.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So if i am currently rooted. running p3 latest release is there any point to do the OTA.. i am guessing we will not be able to get newest baseband without the OTA.. correct??? i really dont want to sbf but i will.. droid 2 root method is confirmed working :)

donballz

Reaction score
I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to Bootloaders and such, nor do I own an X but wasn't Apple ruled against this sort of thing in court after there was talk (not sure if they did it) about releasing updates that would brick a device.

Out of curiosity, could something like this fall under this category, or is changing the keys for the HAB something that is more a normal practice and likely wouldn't be considered "malicious code" that could brick a device (even if it is fixable)?

Cause I really don't like the idea of them doing this like this.

The ruling only stated that Apple can't sue you for copyright infringement because of jailbreaking your phone. It says nothing about them building things preventing you from doing it.

themuttt

Reaction score
anyone? anyone?

I have the programs to do the 2.1 flash back but would rather not if I don't have to

iclickjohn

Reaction score
Glad you posted this. I was going to as well. I think I'm in the same spot as you. I did the update a month ago. And I was quite sure it said that it was JUST the update but not root. Then I became unsure. What is the foolproof way of knowing if my phone is rooted?
2nd: I have all the files and directions saved if I want to go back to 2.1 but a tweet came in from birdman saying not to do anything yet. wait. Something's brewing with the genius. So yes, there may be an "update" coming from him. The conversion back to 2.1 left me wondering if I even want to take the chances. Especially since I know I'm going to update early again next time. They've been up since 4am on this and I think they do have regular jobs or students. But with this kind of a (fun) challenge for them, they will be on it asap.

iclickjohn

Reaction score
I was wondering if this is the back conversion method you have seen.
it includes the sbf file VRZ_MB810_1.13.6.2_IFF_01.sbf
as well as a file "thegift.zip"
and a motorola RSD Lite
I've pasted the procedure below. So many forums, I think I got it here.
Reminder tho: Birdman says NOT to do OTA 2.2 and then go back to 2.1
Does anyone know what he means by that? I didn't know what purpose they were going back to 2.1 for.
The below pasted for comparison purposes only. Not posted for purpose of application.

Return your DroidX to stock unrooted 2.1:

Motorola Droid X SBF Download - Here
This reverts you to a CLEAN UNROOTED STOCK Phone.

Windows Instructions:

Download RSD Lite (credit to MyDroidWorld)
Install the RSDLite 4.7 program by double clicking on the program.
Move the pst_flash.ini file into the following folder --> Program Files/Motorola/RSDLite
Install the drivers that apply to your Operating System.
Unzip the SBF into a folder.
Open RSD Lite and find the UNZIPPED SBF
Put your Motorola Droid X into bootloader. (turn phone off and hold volume down and the camera button while pressing the power button)
Click start and sit back.
Note: after the flash will need to boot into recovery (hold volume down and the home button) and wipe data and cache.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I messed up guys and merged a thread made earlier with this one. I'm going to close and unsticky this one and have moto make a new thread Official Root After OTA Update thread.

I'm so sorry!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.