Unlimited data over Thursday.

oldwarrior

Reaction score
Ok so I have been waiting to get a new phone (I'm with AT&T right now) till I found a better phone. Well I just heard on the news now that Verizon is getting rid of their unlimited data. I thought we would have heard about this a while ago, so either I missed it or they just announced it. My question is, is it a go to get TB with the problems it has right now and hope the update fixes them, or just bite the bullet and wait for another phone and lose the unlimited? Thanks all.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
First off, yeah you missed it. It's been out for at least a month..LOL. Second, you can get any phone with an unlimited data plan and keep the plan for as long as you like if you get it today. You don't have to get a 4G phone to go unlimited.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
O

oldwarrior

Reaction score
Thanks you all. Yea I will see what kind of cheap smart phone I can get.

MadScientist

Reaction score
Be careful as everything I've read indicates that a change from 3g to 4G is a data plan change and will void the grandfathering. Make sure u get a 4G phone if you want it anytime in the future with unlimited otherwise they'll make you go to the tiered plan when u upgrade to 4G.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

jseah

Reaction score
Be careful as everything I've read indicates that a change from 3g to 4G is a data plan change and will void the grandfathering. Make sure u get a 4G phone if you want it anytime in the future with unlimited otherwise they'll make you go to the tiered plan when u upgrade to 4G.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

And everything that I have read, including the confirmation from Verizon that tiered data does in fact start tomorrow, says that if you have an unlimited smart phone plan as of today, you will keep unlimited even if you upgrade from a 3G to a 4G phone.

Blacksantron

Reaction score
I just left my local verizon store. I went in just to ask questions regarding the changes taking place tomorrow. Dude said that basically I know more than they do and technically they "aren't allowed to speak about it until tomorrow."
I said if I need to make changes to my plan I have to do it today so a little information would be nice. He repeated that he isn't allowed to speak about it until tomorrow.
I inquired about tethering and expressed my displeasure with not being able to use my phone as advertised without the risk of exorbitant charges. He said he has heard nothing about unlimited tethering a being an option.
When I joked with him and said that I caught him talking details about tomorrow he got frustrated with me and asked "is there anything else I can help you with?"
This is lunacy.
Stop double dipping on data charges verizon!
Stop advertising how I can use my phone if I truly can't! (without crazy charges)
Sent From My OC'd Supercharged Chainfired Cyanogenated Droid X

captain howdy

Reaction score
I just bought my brother a smart phone to get him grandfathered in on the unlimited data. I asked the Verizon rep about what happens later if I get a 4g phone. This is what I was told. Just so long as I USE AN UPGRADE, to a 4g phone and make no change what so ever in the plan I will be grandfathered in even on a 4g phone. Now the rep stressed the point of using and upgrade, I assume that this means if I buy a phone before I qualify for an upgrade it will be considered a new plan and I will lose the data plan, but if I wait and upgrade every thing will remain the same.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Zog

Reaction score
Dude sign up today! Either get a phone that's out now or get a cheap OG DROID on craigslist and activate it while u await the phone that suits u.

Gingercomb :: Liberty v9

jseah

Reaction score
I just left my local verizon store. I went in just to ask questions regarding the changes taking place tomorrow. Dude said that basically I know more than they do and technically they "aren't allowed to speak about it until tomorrow."

That sounds to me like they know more than they are letting on. Just that they have been told not to say anything. This is pretty much standard operating procedure. In an article that appeared on Yahoo about working at an Apple store, it was mentioned that as an Apple store employee, even mentioning an upcoming Apple product before it has been officially announced by the company is grounds for dismissal.

I inquired about tethering and expressed my displeasure with not being able to use my phone as advertised without the risk of exorbitant charges.

While you may debate the carrier's right to charge extra for tethering, at least Verizon is going to offer unlimited tethering for one price. No other carrier offers that.

OP
O

oldwarrior

Reaction score
Ok I went to the store and I can get this really cheap phone, well it's free Citrus Set Your Location Anyways they told me that I can get a new phone but not use as an upgrade when another phone I want comes out. I would have to buy the next phone for the full retail price. So I'm deciding if I should go ahead and get the TB now or just stay with ATT and get the SG2 when it comes out. Oh well this is what I get for not staying up to date with Verizon's data tier.

Edit: btw they did confirm that you will still be grandfathered in if and when you go from 3g to 4g.