Unable to boot into recovery to install a new rom

niksrule515

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and have done some research on how to do this. I have tried several different approaches to try and boot into recovery so I can install the liberty ROM. I have had my phone rooted for a while now but this is my first attempt to install a ROM, so maybe I am doing something wrong. I just need a little guidance. I have tried using clockworkmod recovery but I have read that the version I have has problems loading into the recovery mode. I tried to downgrade to 3.0.2.4 but had no luck figuring out how exactly to do it. I downloaded a recovery image and tried to use the terminal to load it to my phone with no luck I tried "fastboot flash recovery <recovery_name>.img" but im not sure how that works the terminal window just tells me that fastboot is not a recognizable command. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

linuxgator

Reaction score
I recommend getting Safestrap and installing it. It will allow you to keep your stock ROM intact, while allowing you to install a second ROM that you can use alternatively. Also, I don't believe that Liberty ROM is currently being developed much and would suggest you look into Maverick ROM 4.0. Here's where you can find safestrap: Safestrap « Hash-of-Codes make sure to grab the one specifically for the Droid 3.

OP
N

niksrule515

Reaction score
I would actually really like to get ics for the Droid 3. One with a working camera if possible. Would you happen to know where I can find a good one?

Sent from my DROID3

OP
N

niksrule515

Reaction score
thank you so much by the way for your assistance, i am currently in the process of installing maverick 4.0 with your help i was able to boot into recovery and then follow the necessary steps after getting there. this is my first rom and i am very excited to see how big of a difference it actually makes in the look and performance of the phone

OP
N

niksrule515

Reaction score
when i install the rom i got to the point where it says flashing system, then did some symlinking, setting permissions, completing install then install from sd card complete. the next step in the instructions is to wipe data/factory reset. i was wondering if this step is necessary or if i can skip it since it appears the rom is installed and wouldnt this delete what i have just done

linuxgator

Reaction score
The wipe data/factory reset is necessary if you've installed something in safestrap before. If it is the first time, it may not be necessary, but I would still recommend it. If you have safe system enabled, it will not affect the data in the base system. You will also want to go to the advanced menu and wipe dalvik cache. You can find a link to ics on the same site as I posted for safestrap, you just need to poke around the site menu until you find it there, as there are a few different versions available.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
N

niksrule515

Reaction score
I know I am probably getting annoying with all my questions, but I just have one problem. I have gone thru the steps two times now to install the maverick 4.0 rom and I have had no luck. After I finish and reboot my phone everything is the same exact way it was b4 the installation. I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I do not notice a difference at all either time I went thru the instructions. I did everything listed and seem to have gotten nowhere. Do you know why this may be happening or what I can do differently to get the rom installed? Thank you in advance.

Sent from my DROID3

linuxgator

Reaction score
Are you installing Maverick when it says Safe System Enabled? If not, make sure you enable it first. I usually do a factory data reset before installing the ROM, then install it and then reboot, all while Safe system is enabled. Off the bat, Maverick looks very similar to stock, but you will notice differences in the color scheme and there is power controls in the notification pulldown and it says Maverick there. If you are trying to install maverick when safe system is Disabled, it probably won't let you do so. You can also hit me up on gtalk, i use the same alias for that.

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
I had some freakish occurrences like the OP here, as well. Make sure you're following the steps, EXACTLY as indicated on the guide you're working with. While the Droid series of phone are notoriously difficult to brick, you should definately take care to line up your steps. Once you've done your ROM, check "about phone" in settings before you try again, you may have succeeded. Maverick is the ROM I use as well, you'll get it working dude, don't worry.

OP
N

niksrule515

Reaction score
is all i have to do is install the rom, i have read some stuff about flashing but i am not exactly sure what that is or what it all means