Touchdown Groups in contact list

whyshoottwice

Reaction score
I am new to smartphones, so this may be a simple problem.

I recently purchased a DROID Pro. I am using Exchange server 2010 with ActiveSync. When I bought the phone, I used the native ActiveSync client. This worked well, but did not sync the tasks or notes. So, I am trialing Touchdown.

The native DROID ActiveSync app would sync all contacts and groups (categories in Outlook 2010 got translated to groups on the phone). All contacts were automatically placed in their respective groups. I like the native contact app because I could easily look at only one specific group. For example if I only wanted to look at contacts in ‘Food’, I could do so with one layer of menus. Now, of course, since groups are not synced to the native contact app, I cannot do this.

So, that leaves me with the Touchdown contact app. Outlook Categories sync over into the Touchdown contact app as groups. However, the Touchdown app does not appear to have a simple way to select for a single group. It seems that you need to enter the menu, select more, then filters, and then select the desired group. This is quite tedious. So, by using the Touchdown contact app, I have apparently lost an easy way to view a single group of contacts.

1)Is there an easy way to select a single group in the Touchdown contact app?
2)If not, is there a way to have the groups sync to both the Touchdown contact app AND the native DROID contact app so that I can use the native app user interface for easy selection of a single contact group?

This may not seem like a big deal, but I have hundreds of contacts and using categories/groups keeps things manageable.

Some other observations about Touchdown vs. the native ActiveSync client:
1) Touchdown seems slower to sync changes made on the phone back to the Exchange server.
2) Touchdown shortens battery life a little.

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If not, is there a way to have the groups sync to both the Touchdown contact app AND the native DROID contact app so that I can use the native app user interface for easy selection of a single contact group?
Sure. Just set up sync with the native client. If you only want contacts then disable the sync of the other items for that account (Settings->Accounts & Sync).

As for your other question(s), the Touchdown Google Group may be a better resource.

OP
W

whyshoottwice

Reaction score
If not, is there a way to have the groups sync to both the Touchdown contact app AND the native DROID contact app so that I can use the native app user interface for easy selection of a single contact group?
Sure. Just set up sync with the native client. If you only want contacts then disable the sync of the other items for that account (Settings->Accounts & Sync).

So one exchange server account, one phone, two ActiveSync clients on the phone – Touchdown set for everything except contacts, and the native client for only contacts. I’ll give it a try. I did not realize the exchange server could sync to multiple clients on one device.