Too many SMS messages causing lag?

alm0614

Reaction score
I am using Handcent and I have around 11,000 SMS messages on my phone, I never delete them. I feel like lately, after I send a text and try to go back to the list of all my threads, it is a little laggier than before. Now, this may be because of something else, I just dont know if its even reasonable to think that large numbers of text messages could cause this. I know back in the day, on the good ol RAZR that if you had a lot of texts the phone would screech to a halt.. just wondering if thats feasible.

Also, is there anyway I could move my SMS messages to the SD card but still have them so they show up in Handcent.

TIA

keithsmith22

Reaction score
Are you a hoarder? Why is there a need to have that many text messages?

OP
A

alm0614

Reaction score
I am not a hoarder haha.. I just like keeping all my texts, unless it is hurting performance

vmann32

Reaction score
Well hoarder(j/k lol) delete them and see if it works or you can do a nandroid then delete them and if it don't help restore and they will be back.Hoarder hehe I slay me j/k btw =]

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also, is there anyway I could move my SMS messages to the SD card but still have them so they show up in Handcent.
If your messages are causing the lag then moving your messages to the slower SD card isn't going to help. If the messages are the issue you should probably look into an SMS backup solution, backup what you want to keep and then clear out messages in Handcent. I'm not saying that they're definitely the cause though.

Why is there a need to have that many text messages?
Why does the why matter? Different people have different needs/wants. The real issue is whether they're affecting performance or not.

OP
A

alm0614

Reaction score
You'll be glad to know that I dont even need to do a nandroid because I use SMS Backup & Restore to automatically backup every night so I never have to worry about losing any!!

I might try to just wipe em all and see how it goes, and like you said.. I can always just restore them back if it doesnt make a difference..