The First Snapdragon 820 Phone Is Coming From An OEM You Have Never Heard Of!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Both Samsung and Xiaomi are seemingly racing to get a phone to market featuring the new Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor. It looks like neither of these OEMs will be first to market with the new high powered chip. Instead the chipset will be released first by an OEM you have probably never heard of.

The Chinese video streaming power house Letv will feature the chip in their Le Max Pro which also features SenseID fingerprint and multi-gigabit sharing between devices. We don't have any details on a release date yet or pricing, but Qualcomm's CEO "Steven Mollenkopf" was sporting the phone on stage at their press event today! Mollenkopf also announced that the chip would make its way to 80 upcoming devices.

via @letvusa

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Its really hard for me to try other OEMs phones. I swore I'd never have another Samsung phone but now I have a Note 5. I fear getting a phone that sucks but I'm suck with until I can trade it in.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The fact that no US carrier's carry this particular brand kinda makes the whole "first to market" a moot point...at least to those of us in the US.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Its really hard for me to try other OEMs phones. I swore I'd never have another Samsung phone but now I have a Note 5. I fear getting a phone that sucks but I'm suck with until I can trade it in.
You just gotta make the jump! I was in the same boat, completely. I swore after having the S4 for a while that I was going to another OEM with my next phone. Ended up with the Note 4. Now, I've made the switch to the Nexus 6P. I won't deny that it was a bit scary considering that I'd never even seen a Huawei device in person, but I couldn't be more happy with my decision.

Not saying there isn't still a chance of being disappointed in your choice, but it's really not as scary as it feels like it will be while you're stuck in that other ecosystem. Of course, I knew I was going to go with the 6P, so I started installing stock Google apps and other things that would take over for the proprietary Samsung stuff months before I got the 6P. That helped ease the transition as well.

I've never heard of the OEM in the OP. At least with Huawei, I'd heard of them and was aware that they were a big deal in other markets. I'd be a bit more leery of being an early adopter of this device from a company I've never heard of.

I do like that we're hearing and seeing things about these other OEMs from other markets though. I've said it before and I'll say it plenty more times, I'm sure, but competition is good for the consumer.

cryax

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
galaxy s4
How noticeable would the upgraded 820 be from say an 810 chip? Not much I would recon

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
You just gotta make the jump! I was in the same boat, completely. I swore after having the S4 for a while that I was going to another OEM with my next phone. Ended up with the Note 4. Now, I've made the switch to the Nexus 6P. I won't deny that it was a bit scary considering that I'd never even seen a Huawei device in person, but I couldn't be more happy with my decision.

Not saying there isn't still a chance of being disappointed in your choice, but it's really not as scary as it feels like it will be while you're stuck in that other ecosystem. Of course, I knew I was going to go with the 6P, so I started installing stock Google apps and other things that would take over for the proprietary Samsung stuff months before I got the 6P. That helped ease the transition as well.

I've never heard of the OEM in the OP. At least with Huawei, I'd heard of them and was aware that they were a big deal in other markets. I'd be a bit more leery of being an early adopter of this device from a company I've never heard of.

I do like that we're hearing and seeing things about these other OEMs from other markets though. I've said it before and I'll say it plenty more times, I'm sure, but competition is good for the consumer.

I had a Nexus 6 before my Note 5 and I prefer the stock Android experience. My work S4 is as close to stock Android as it can get with Package Disabler and the Google Now launcher. Battery life lasts forever on that thing now. I figured the 6P would be good as its a Nexus phone.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
How noticeable would the upgraded 820 be from say an 810 chip? Not much I would recon
Being that most manufacturers had to throttle (or underclock if you will) the 810 to prevent it from experiencing overheating issues that plagued this chipset, the 820 is reported to be almost twice as fast as the 810 in certain benchmarks. But you know what they say about benchmarks, so there's that. Snapdragon 820 vs 810 vs 808: Snapdragon 820 benchmarked and compared

S5 tap'n