The European and American Versions of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Are Region Locked

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
note-3-europe-region-lock.jpg

International travelers who just purchased or plan to purchase the new Samsung Galaxy Note 3 will be in for a rude shock. The European and American versions of the device are region locked. Folks from across the globe are getting their shiny new GNote3 and finding some version of the pictured stickers on their device. The American region locking applies to North America, South America, Central America and the Caribbean. We have no word yet on Canada.

note-3-americas-region-lock.jpg

For those who don't do much international traveling and/or don't understand what region locking means, here's a quick quote with an elegant explanation,

This restriction means that the Galaxy Note 3 isn’t actually “unlocked”, at least not in the common acceptation of the word. You can’t use an American SIM card on a European Galaxy Note 3, and vice versa. Moreover, if you travel outside Europe or the Americas, you will have to use your home SIM and possibly incur roaming costs, because using a local SIM won’t be an option.

Buying a Galaxy Note 3 from outside your region is also problematic now, as you might not be able to use it on your local networks.

As you can see, this could be problematic for some users. It seems strange that Samsung would go this route with the device. At this time, there is no word on whether the GNote3's region locking is hardware based or software based. If it is software based, we have little doubt that some crafty developer or modder will eventually find a way to "break/fix" this issue.

Source: AndroidAuthority

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
What a **** move Samsung. I don't travel...well...ever (stupid no money), but for those who do that is going to be a massive headache. Why should Samsung be the one that says you can't buy a prepaid sim card while on vacation so you don't incur massive charges for a couple weeks. I have a feeling its the carriers that pressured them into this so they can make $$$ on those massive charges.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
What a **** move Samsung. I don't travel...well...ever (stupid no money), but for those who do that is going to be a massive headache. Why should Samsung be the one that says you can't buy a prepaid sim card while on vacation so you don't incur massive charges for a couple weeks. I have a feeling its the carriers that pressured them into this so they can make $$$ on those massive charges.

Agreed. I understand they are in business to make a profit but to think of EVERY SINGLE way to jip yet another penny out of people is just unreal..

boidsonly

Reaction score
You/we are not Samsung's friends-the carriers are. What a shame-I WAS going to buy the GN3...