Galaxy Note 3 Region Locking Not as Bad as First Thought; Workaround Possible

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Sep 27, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,785
    [​IMG]

Yesterday, we reported that the various version of the 'carrier unlocked' Samsung Galaxy Note 3 are region locked. That is true, except, as it turns out, when it's not. The issue seems to be much more complicated than first reported.

Apparently, the Asian and Australian versions of the device are not region locked at all. Additionally, to complicate things further, the 'carrier-unlocked' EU and American versions are not actually region locked either, unless you first activate them with a SIM card from outside your region. If you do happen to first activate it using a SIM from outside your region, it immediately region locks the device. The likely reason Samsung went with this approach was to trap grey (unauthorized) importers of Samsung phones.

Luckily, If you are unlucky enough to have purchased a 'carrier unlocked' Galaxy Note 3 and accidentally region locked it, there is a way you can back out of it to fix the problem. You simply need to take it to an authorized local (to your region) Samsung service center (like your carrier) and they can unlock it for you. Here's a statement from Samsung UK on the matter,

It's great to see that things weren't as bad as we originally thought. Does this affect your purchase decision for the GNote3?

Source: AndroidCentral

2. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +333
    So if I buy a US Note3 and activate it in the US, I can put an EU sim in it just fine and it'll work. Ok, that sounds better.

3. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +248
    Current Phone Model:
    GNote2
    Ok that is better. I'm not sorry I used that opportunity to trash talk the carriers though. They deserve that and MORE!

4. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Well this isnt so bad after all.

@tgyberg, I trash talk the carries as much as possible, even if its not their fault or didnt do anything. Its good to just let it out and not go on a shooting spree! LMFAO!

5. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +333
    Carriers deserve it. They are price gouging us and ever increasing the cost to us for less. I have no doubt this is because of carriers. Foreigners have family in the US, buy the device for WAY cheaper than what they can get it for and have it shipped over. Though I see no issue with that, the carrier in the other country doesn't get the money for the device. The carrier wants the money and had Samsung set it up so they have a better chance at getting that money.

Search tags for this page
galaxy note 3

is us version of galaxy note 3 region locked

note 3 forum#gsc.tab