Texts listed as "sending" until I send another after Jelly Bean update

spadez2

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I'm new to the forums, but I figured I'd post to see if anyone can help me. My phone told me it had an update this morning, and so I followed through with it and am now fully updated. However, ever since doing this, the most recent text I send is infinitely stuck in "sending" (the green arrow remains there, instead of "Sent: 5:30 PM"). As soon as I send another text, the previous text says "Sent" and now the new text is infinitely stuck. Even stranger still, the person I am texting is receiving and responding to the text listed as sending. So essentially, the issue in a nutshell is this: My texts send, but the most recent one is listed as "sending" until I send a new text.

Anyone else having this issue? Thanks.

OP
S

spadez2

Reaction score
Wipe data in messaging and if use any 3rd party mms apps delete em

I'm pretty savvy with computers but not so much my phone. When you say wipe data in messaging, I figured that meant to check my "Messaging" folder for a "data" folder and delete it, but being as that didn't exist, I'm assuming you just mean delete all my texts?

Last edited:
OP
S

spadez2

Reaction score
Sorry to bump, but it seems the problem is not only occurring much more frequently, but it is no longer predictable. It seems like more than 50% of my texts are stuck "sending". many of these these texts actually have sent, but there are just as many that actually are truly stuck.

sidenote: this took nearly 10 minutes to type because every time iI try to backspace a spelling error, the sentence and words completely change into unreadable-jibberish. It seems like the words iI correct morph into a congolmerateconglomerate conglomeratconglomerate of the word before it. (See what iI mean?)

and yes, my phone changes every i to il.

Jellybean has SEVERELY damaged the functionality of my phone. Please help!

f1337wood

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Wiping data for text messaging isn't helping at all. It happens to me with the stock 4.1.2 ROM and D4 Eclipse 1.0 and I've honestly been too frustrated to install other ROMs to even see if they help alleviate the problem.

I did a full SBF to 4.0.4 and wiped all my data through the stock recovery before I ran the update to 4.1.2 so I'm not sure why it's being so buggy.

OP
S

spadez2

Reaction score
Nice to see I'm not the only one. My phone is not rooted or anything of the sort, I use it as it came straight out of the box, however if you find a fix to this problem, please let me know. I'm willing to do whatever I can at this point. I can barely text anymore.

silverfang77

Reaction score
A factory data reset is recommended either right before or right after the upgrade. It's best to start with a clean slate.

ribbie18

Reaction score
A factory data reset is recommended either right before or right after the upgrade. It's best to start with a clean slate.

I'm having the same issues. Has anyone tried a factory reset? If so, does it work? I'm getting pretty sick of not knowing whether my texts were sent or not.

sean9721

Reaction score
I also get the infinite green arrow. When I upgraded to JB I first did a SBF back to ICS. Then I did a factory reset after upgrading to JB, so I started 100% fresh. This also happens with Eclipse because it is a stock based ROM.

wagoss

Reaction score
My phone: Droid 4

Does anyone have any update on this? I've warned one of my co-workers with a Droid 4 not to install the update, but he has never received the notification, so I'm wondering if they decided to stop pushing it through. I called Verizion Tech support and they said they would send me a replacement. They suggested I try the update on the new phone, but I'm rather hesitant. What's the consensus? Would installing it on a "new" phone with no data likely work as opposed to one that already has data on it? I really wish they would just fix the problem.

Here are my symptoms:
Infinite Green Arrow when sending texts (sometimes they actually send even though there is a green arrow)
Hard Shift Key not working properly (must hold down to get special characters or caps)
I just noticed that I do not receive an audible notification for texts anymore (I checked my settings and it is set, but I can't even get them to play in the settings to try them out)...yes, my volume is turned up, my phone rings fine

Here is what I've tried:
Soft reset seems to work occasionaly to fix the problems, but they go back after a while
Removing Chrome seemed to help for the longest period of time, but the problems came back
Wiping the cache worked temporarily as well

I have not tried a hard factory reset since it doesn't seem like that has helped anyone. I was going to try it until Verizon said they would send me a replacement. I figured I would just wait for that (should have it tomorrow) so that I want have to set up a phone twice in that short of a time period.

Now I just have to decide if I want to update the replacement to Jelly Bean or just leave it alone.

f1337wood

Reaction score
I haven't updated my Eclipse ROM past 1.0 yet but it had the same problem as stock. No amount of data and cache wiping have remedied this problem for me.

So, even though it's a little buggy, I've been using the LiquidSmooth ROM and it will (probably) alleviate the problems you have with text messaging. That's all I can really suggest, unfortunately, since there seem to be very few reports of this problem here so it's hard to know if developers know if this is a real problem or not.