Texting while Driving

Gareee

Reaction score
Can Otter use google voice instead of verizon to send the text messages?

ErikWood

Reaction score
Reply to OTTER and Speech to Text...

Thanks for the question. Here are the obstacles in front of us when we considered interfacing with Google Voice...

1. It would basically be a completely different app build and so we were forced to choose between a widely popular texting medium (SMS) or a 3 to 4% user rate with Google Voice.

2. There isn't anyone out there on the front lines of the texting while driving issue that thinks that any Speech to Text software is anything other that just another form of texting while driving. They see it as the driver still fumbling with technology instead of focusing on the 5,000 pounds of steel and glass they sitting in. We wanted to creating a texting management system for users at home or in the office - but on the highway, we wanted to offer a legitimate safety tool for the end user.

I can assure you that we will keep our eye on Google Voice and the user rates. I can share with you that several Google Voice users that are OTTER customers, have disabled the Google Voice texting option and so they use GV for the other options but revert back to SMS for texting and OTTER functions fine along side GV in this capacity. Let us know if you have more questions at [email protected].

Erik Wood, owner
OTTER LLC

snowman

Reaction score
a young girl drove off the mountain here by the house texting and driving
when the car finally stopped upside down at the river at the bottom
texting and driving was no longer the issue
the tow truck driver found her phone ,a friend of mine, -said she never got to hit send !!

ErikWood

Reaction score
Follow up to Snowman's comment

I wish this incident you described was the exception but its quickly becoming common place. Check out our .org blog called Break The Habit - and you will see that we post stories like this almost weekly.

My three year old daughter almost became a text and drive statisitc. A texting driver came a foot away from running her down as I looked on and tried to pull her back. This was in a quiet residential neighborhood and the driver just kept on driving... That was the day OTTER started...

Erik Wood, owner
OTTER LLC