Technically speaking, how does PUSH actually work?

arw01

Reaction score
Curious about how pushing works technically. Do they broadcast a phone id out causing your phone to go online and ASK for the email, or do they broadcast emails just through the airwaves hoping your phone can pull in the signal?

Or does your phone register with towers or open ports on wifi with the ip address being "on file" with the server for x amount of time?

moonnite

Reaction score
my understanding of the gmail push is that the phone recieved a hex or binary instructino threw a system sms that acts like a phone recieve broadcast signal and causes the phone to at that point request the email, so it save the phone from checking unnecissarly when there is no email wasting battery life and you still get quick emails on your phone

stander email = mom tells kid to walk home from park every 15 mins to see if dinner is ready

gmail push = giving the kid at the park a beeper and saving them from walking except when there is food

bb push = calling delivery restaurant and having it delivered to the park, lol

- also gmail can be set up to check other emails on the server side, allowing you to get non-gmail account without using the standered email program with pull ( or scheduled polling) and should be better for the battery

Viper323

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the way it works is the server side (say GMail) sends a tiny packet of data to the client (your phone) when a new email arrives telling it to check in and download the message, then your phone goes out and actually downloads the email. Doing it this way means large amounts of data arent wasted when your phone is off because only a small packet is sent out initially when an email arrives on the server

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the way it works is the server side (say GMail) sends a tiny packet of data to the client (your phone) when a new email arrives telling it to check in and download the message, then your phone goes out and actually downloads the email. Doing it this way means large amounts of data arent wasted when your phone is off because only a small packet is sent out initially when an email arrives on the server

more or less this....

99% of it is server side... the email account is constantly monitored by the sync server and as soon as an email comes in its immediatly sent to the push devices.

same thing on the phone as soon as a change is made to a contact or email is created that information is sent to the server.

They also will periodically connect to each other to verify all information is sync'd. if you log onto verizon.com and look at your data usage you will see the internet being used constantly and this would be the phone and the sync server checking to make sure the info is the same on both ends.

our phones don't actually connect directly to the email server everything is filtered through the sync server...

its alot more technical jargon that goes along with this but this will give you the basic idea.