Taking it back today

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I stood in line at 6:30 am last week to get my Droid, but I'm returning it today after trying to work with it for a week. Here's why:

1. I keep my volume at the max, but several times now it has gone into silent mode and I have missed critical calls. I think it's because of that flat volume rocker button which is a horrible design. This is unacceptable to miss important calls and notifications.

2. The phone sometimes starts dialing when I didn't want it to (I guess screen is too sensitive), and there's no end call button to abort fast. Similarly, after a real call, hanging up is a pain - I have to press on/off, slide unlock and then find the screen to end the call. Ridiculous

3. Notification of text and email requires you to press on/off (I hate that tiny button), unlock the phone (why, if I just pressed the button?) then pull down the notification page or press buttons and screens. The notifications should immediately display on the screen (unless the phone is password locked). I get a lot of notifications, and it's annoying to go through those steps to make it display them.

4. The email and text screens cannot be enlarged for easier reading. The timestamp on text messages is like the bottom line on an eye chart!

5. Keyboard slideout wobbles and opens by accident

6. Battery cover opens too easily and falls off sometimes. I don't use a case because it makes the phone too bulky and hard to use.

I really wanted to enjoy this phone, but even just for the first reason, I have to return it. Cannot afford to miss calls and notifications because the phone went silent.

1: i dont know what your doing but when the phone is locked the rocker button does not work... maybe your hitting it while your using the phone ...

2: If you need to end the call quicly just hit the big red button in the middle to end the call... about dialing by itself maybe your phone is possesed by some demon or your not realizing your pressing the buttons...

3: just because someone unlocks the phone does not mean they want to immediatly see the notifications... i get emails and notifications that i will leave there until i have time to get to them... so when i unlock the phone i would like to not be forced to close some notifications just to use something else...

4: better glasses or contacts... i can hold the phone at full arms length and read everything fine and my eyesight sucks... thats why i wear glasses.

5: sounds like a defective unit... mine has no wobble and does not come out unless forced.

6: theres a few fixes for the loose battery cover... google is your friend.. one fix is to place a buisness card under the battery or to slightly bend the the 4 clips and it will help significantly.

dont take this the wrong way but it sounds like you got a phone that is more then what you need or can handle.

adam8ch

Reaction score
i'm exchanging mine for a new one today. the one spec of dust under the screen is driving me insane. the next one will probably have the same problem, but i'll exchange it while i can.

shcommish

Reaction score
Another question while I'm at it.....It's very hard to scroll on the screen sometimes without accidentally selecting an item. There's a touch to it I can tell but still, when scrolling through contacts where darn near everything is clickable it's tough. And while we're on Contacts, is there a way I can quickly jump to a particular letter of contacts ? I've imported contacts from both my Gmail account and Facebook and I now have lots.....scrolling through them is tedious....Also, I have some near duplicate contacts. Can I consolidate them offline somehow and then delete & reload my contacts ?

When at the contact screen if you look to the right there is a gray tab. Press and hold that tab while scrolling down and it jumps to the letter you want so you can find a contact quickly.

Tekmazter

Reaction score
if the phone is locked the volume buttons don't do anything.

This isn't entirely so ... at least for media playback. Even if the phone is locked you can adjust the volume of output to the headphone jack using the rocker. Case and point ... I stream Pandora using the Aux jack in my car to the Droid. While the phone is locked I can most certainly adjust the volume. I haven't tested to see if this also changes the volume for the ringer at the same time.

I agree that the user just didn't invest enough time into the device. There are always going to be shortcomings with any technology. However, the great thing about a phone which runs Android is the plethora of options out there to make it better, or tweek it as you see fit. What else on Verizon's network could you possible go to now that is better? I like the BB Tour and Storm 2, but they are more business machines in the truest sense. The screens are small, browsing is awful and media capabilities are limited --not to mention the apps aren't all that great.

One more item worth noting should anyone else think about dumping this phone.

A decent portable GPS is going to cost around $200.00. I was in the market for one before the Droid came out. You're going to need a cell phone anyway. Save yourself some dough and complicate your life a little less. Mingling all these little technologies together is paramount. --seriously it's nuts carrying an MP3 player and phone to the gym, plus my GPS has to be locked away so it doesn't get stolen. Don't even get me started on the sheer amount of cables involved (power for this, charger for that)

TomN

Reaction score
I don't care for the location of the power button either, but I find myself getting used to pressing it when I need to. Just another little quirk about the phone that I will gladly adapt to in the pursuit of more Droid goodness.

moosc

Reaction score
i dont get it... can some one show me picture of dust under a sealed screen? how is this possible? as with my S1 i still it the original day one storm no dust no business card tricks etc just a crappy OS to live with.. im rocking my droid that i bought a day before most peeps got theirs and no problems no dents no gremlins and no friggn dust..

Nolubez

Reaction score
update on Dec 11th? Where can I find for info on that? thnx

rayr0d

Reaction score
If you cant hear the ringer or goes silent by itself, either you downloaded an app that turns off your ringer when it feels like it or you have tech issues - I've heard various pros/cons from those that have it and none mention a ringer issue. Exchange for a new one and give it another shot unless you've steered towards another Droid. Its an Android phone, there are apps out there that could make your phone fit your personal needs.

maqsur

Reaction score
Nice, the return of the 2 year old thread! :icon_ banana:;)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
talk about a resurrected thread...

it's funny to read back through it though - sounds similar to when new phones come out now :blink:

orionsvantage

Reaction score
talk about a resurrected thread...

it's funny to read back through it though - sounds similar to when new phones come out now :blink:

I was thinking the same thing. "blah, blah, blah I can't stand this phone for nitpicky reason a b and c therefore this phone is garbage"

Two years later "og Droid is hands down the best Droid evar, razr sucks cause you see a pixel when you hold the phone 2 inches away from your eyes, can't take the battery out and doesn't have a chip that 99% of the population would know how to use in the first place..."

why do people insist on putting their screen name in their signature?