Symlinks on SD card?

ferulebezel

Reaction score
I'd like to have every sound I have available for notifications and ringtones. It seems to be really stupid to have one copy in each directory. Can I make the notifications directory a symbolic link to the ringtones directory or vice versa? If so How? Do I just plug it into my Ubuntu box and do it from a bash shell?

TuxDude

Reaction score
I believe you can do it from the adb shell or from a terminal emulator app on your phone....

I'm not so sure what filesystem is in use on the SD card and if that filesystem supports symbolic links...

Cdjones187

Reaction score
I'd like to have every sound I have available for notifications and ringtones. It seems to be really stupid to have one copy in each directory. Can I make the notifications directory a symbolic link to the ringtones directory or vice versa? If so How? Do I just plug it into my Ubuntu box and do it from a bash shell?

Yes you can, without ADB. On your SD card create a folder called media, in that folder create another folder called notifications. Drag whatever sounds you want into that folder and they will be available to set as any notification sound.

Let me know if that worked.

Reaction score
I thin what he is trying to do is use sounds for both ringtones and notifications without having to physically have 2 copies of the sounds.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Cdjones187

Reaction score
I thin what he is trying to do is use sounds for both ringtones and notifications without having to physically have 2 copies of the sounds.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Technically he wont have to. Just move ALL sounds into the new notifications folder inside the media folder and the phone with do the rest. The notifications folder is universal for ringtones I believe.

Sorry if i'm wrong, ill test my self right now and repost.

EDIT: Im wrong, very sorry. Would also like to know if there is a solution for this. Would be of no help for me since I have WAY to many sounds (music) on my sd card (approx 2000) to try to find them through a drop down box. But would be nice to know for future reference.

I think its just easier opening up the music app and selecting whatever sound as ringtone. Then its available later under ringtones. As far as having it for other notifications go you would still have to stick your sounds/music into the notifications folder. Thats the easiest way I could solve this problem.

Sorry if I wasted your time.

Last edited:

Cdjones187

Reaction score
Crap! I just checked. It's FAT.

You seem to know more than me by this statement alone. I'm assuming you also know you can partition your sd card to ext2, ext3 file system which would allow symbolic links.. LOL..... Man I should of looked up what a symbolic link was before trying to troubleshoot.