Support For More Banks And Gift Cards Coming To Samsung Pay

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Samsung Pay is the game changing Mobile Payment service that allows you to use your phone at virtually any credit card payment terminal. It uses Magnetic Secure Transmission to simulate a card swipe. The only downside to this is that for security reasons you can't be rooted to use this feature. I was so interested in Samsung Pay that I decided to take an OTA on my Verizon Note 5. More than likely I will never be able to root that device now.

After having received the update which added support for Samsung Pay to my Note 5 I installed the Samsung Pay app. To my surprise I was still unable to use Samsung Pay. Samsung Pay currently only supports cards from four banks. Those banks include Bank of America, Citi, USBank, and Synchrony.

I had actually considered opening up a Bank Of America checking account just so I could try out this feature. I may still have to do that. Samsung has just announced that they will soon be adding support for several banks and will even support gift cards. The banks they are adding in the coming months include Chase, PNC Bank, TD Bank, SunTrust, Fifth Third Bank, First Hawaiian, Key Bank, Silicon Valley Bank, Security Service Federal Credit Union, Navy Federal Credit Union, Virginia Credit Union, Associated Bank, Randolph Brooks Federal Credit Union and People’s United Bank. I bank with Regions so I am still out of luck which is very unfortunate. There will also be support for Discover credit cards.

Samsung says that they are seeing plenty of repeat usage. Samsung Pay users have averaged 8 transactions in the United States in the short time that Samsung has been available. Hopefully Samsung can convince even more banks to participate with these kinds of numbers. Maybe if enough of us contact the corporate offices of our Banks to let them know we will go elsewhere to use Samsung Pay they might get on board. That would probably be a long shot.

shockracer

Reaction score
So, is it only Samsung devices the have it built in or could it be used on other non Samsung phones?

Briankbl

Reaction score
I'm waiting on Simple. No telling how long that's gonna take, unfortunately...

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I am happy with Android Pay until my bank supports Samsung Pay

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I understand that, I would like to know if Android Pay will eventually support non tap and pay locations like Samsung Pay?
Ohh.... Anything is possible

from my sexy edge+