Stuck in boot loop after installing OC kernel

sfam198

Reaction score
My Droid is rooted and updated to Froyo FRF84B following the instructions here to the letter. The phone has worked great for the past couple days.

Tonight I decided I wanted to try overclocking. I downloaded the kernel by P3 listed here as LV-250-1000-v32kernel.zip

I installed it using SPRecover as per the instructions at the top of that page.

Immediately after rebooting, the battery meter on the phone read "0" and the phone shut itself off. The battery was around 70-80% right before installing the new kernel. So I figure that I fried my battery.

Now if I plug the phone into the charger, I get an endless boot loop starting on the Motorola "M" and going up to the red eye, then back to the M. The charging light next to the charging port is not lit up. If I plug the phone into the USB port on my computer, I get the charging light, and occasionally it will attempt to boot up, but shut right back off after staying on the "m" screen for about 3-5 seconds. Other times it does nothing.

I've had the battery out of the phone for about 10 minutes now. I'm going to see what happens when I put it back in. Any other suggestions?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Go to a lower speed kernel.

OP
S

sfam198

Reaction score
Turns out I did fry my battery. I got a new battery from Verizon and reflashed back to stock. The phone works fine now. I tried plugging the old battery into my battery charger overnight and it's still dead. I've been really busy over the weekend and haven't had a chance to try rooting and overclocking again. I did have the phone running pretty stable at 800MHz before trying 1GHz. I guess I got too greedy too fast.

I'll do some more stability testing at 800MHz next time before trying 1GHz again.

OP
S

sfam198

Reaction score
well it looks like i fried my second battery. i rerooted my phone and it was working fine. the froyo rom i downloaded is capable of 1GHz, so I set setCPU to 800MHz to start off with. i set up all my different profiles for charging, battery temp, etc. the phone was running great (very fast even at 800MHz) until I rebooted. Immediately upon rebooting, battery life was zero (was 100% before rebooting) and it will not charge. i guess i'm just one of the unlucky ones who can't overclock.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I was having the same problem. And in actuality you probably did not fry your battery. I have been on a couple of 2.2 ROMs in the last few weeks and every time I try to install a lv kernel of 1.1 or higher when the phone reboots it says my battery is dead to connect the charger. However, when I connect the charger the phone does not recognize it and starts into a loot of rebooting. I have had to restore back to older backups to get it to stop. I have learned that this is caused by a conflict between the kernels and the 2.2 Roms. Try running your rom with the kernel it came with and see what battery results you get. If you still show dead batteries or ones that will not charge then most likely you have fried them but I suspect you will notice that you have operating batteries with the stock kernel.

OP
S

sfam198

Reaction score
well this latest time, i found out that the rom i used to root is capable of overclocking 1GHz. so yes, i am using the kernel that came with the rom and it still screwed up. i'll try flashing back to stock and see if that battery will charge but last time i wasn't even able to get the battery to charge using my standalone battery charger, so i doubt its a software issue.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I really am thinking its a software issue as this has been happening a lot since the 2.2's have come out. Also, when you say your "standalone charger" are you referring to the charger that came with your Droid??? There have been a lot of problems with after market chargers causing some really strange behavior with the Droids. I would suggest if you are not using the charger that came with your Droid to do so immediately.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Also make sure that when you are restoring your backups I would suggest you do so in recovery and make sure to wipe data and wipe cache. Just to make sure to get rid of anything from before that was causing the conflicts.

OP
S

sfam198

Reaction score
well strange thing. i reflashed the 2.2 rom using sprecovery and now i'm back to normal. i guess it must be software this time. i tried the same thing when i fried the first battery but i couldn't even get it to boot into sprecovery before.

when i say a standalone charger i mean the charger that you can physically put a battery in, not plug into the phone. it's the one made by motorola. i only use chargers made by motorola. i've had bad luck in the past with aftermarket chargers so i only use genuine accessories from then on.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Okay cool. I was only checking on the charger issue because of some of the strange things I have seen in the past.

Glad to see you are back up and running and that it was software. If you need more help or get stuck again, just pm me and I will be happy to help you.