stock kernel needed to solve constant reboots

jugglervr

Reaction score
ok, I did something dumb, and I own it.
I was intending to root my brother-in-law's droid but 12 hours later, i'm in a pickle. I've got the dreaded 45-sec reboot thing
I can probably just get away with reverting to stock SBF and just consigning the data to the cosmos, but would greatly prefer being able to come out the hero.

Basically, i think i need the stock 2.2.1 kernel to flash over a bad sprecovery (i flashed on 2.2 instead of 2.1 without realizing the danger, as described in this thread. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...w-motodroid-1-reboots-every-15-seconds-3.html)
I've read that flashing a 2.2 kernel fixes the issue, and I tried the kernel i use for my own CM (fixed the battery thing but all else was as before), and slahyer's 800 (i had read that this was a stock 2.2 but it increases the reboot frequency to 10 sec)

basically, i just need a kernel to make it stable enough to install a couple backup apps so i can back the sms, mms, and call log (because i was too dumb to do it prior to flashing).

anyone lend a hand?

edit: nevermind!
leaving this up here for those who might still have a problem.
on a whim, i installed a rooted rom of the exact same build over the borked version. I did this without clearing any caches or data.
it seemed to work beautifully. all text messages are present and accounted for, as are call logs.
woot!
just too bad it took a dedicated 7 hours of googling to figure it out. ;-\

here's the timeline of events. i thought i'd solved it near the end there but alas, no go (because my nandroid has the bad kernel)

1. back up apps with astro
2. flash sprecovery from the older version (SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf)
3. perform nandroid backup (afaik, this is the earliest this was possible)
4. install CM, then BB, get no ability to activate phone on either
5. go back to nandroid, still rebooting
6. go back to stock, get updates to current, collect apps needed to back up all data
7. restore nandroid, reboots still happen, can't access sd card to back anything up
8. flash 2 different kernels, no luck
9. go back to stock again, flash MC1_A855_1282081087_Recovery-Only_SPRecovery_0.99.3b.sbf to attain sprecovery with correct kernel
10. apply nandroid backup, realize that IT has the bad kernel in it.
11. cry
12. (edit) install rooted rom of same build over the top of the nandroid without clearing any data or cache
13. SUCCESS!

My plan is now to just give the phone back, reverted to stock, and work on extracting the data on the spare droid 1 i have lying around.
If it's true that i just need the stock kernel and that's IT... doe anyone have one lying around? most of the links i've found didn't seem promising.

also, is there a difference between kernels by device? If so, i need a moto droid 1 kernel (for 2.2.1)

thanks!

Last edited:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Yes, you;ve got alot of borked stuff there. As you now know using the SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf file is ONLY for A855 phone still running Android version 2.1 as it has the 2.6.29 kernel version only compatible with 2.1. The newer 2.2 and 2.2.1 version(s) are only compatible with the 2.6.32 kernel(s).

Also, could you maybe please either elaborate and/or fix your post as I have NEVER heard of "0.99.3b.sbf to attain sprecovery with correct kernel". There is no 0.99.3b.sbf file.

Last edited:
OP
J

jugglervr

Reaction score
Also, could you maybe please either elaborate and/or fix your post as I have NEVER heard of "0.99.3b.sbf to attain sprecovery with correct kernel". There is no 0.99.3b.sbf file.
fixed. i was truncating the filename as i thought it would be obvious but it was late and not much is as it seems when you're tired.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Coolio, thanks. Makes it much better for the newbs how come along later and read this thread. And the .sbf file you used does not contain a kernel at all, just the SPRecovery image. If you need a A855 Droid 1 kernel that is compatible with 2.2.1 I suggest trying one of P3Droid's out. You can google his name to find his page. Make sure you use the one(s) for Froyo, as he still has a few Eclair ones up that will NOT work.

good luck