Speech to Text

JoeKacz

Reaction score
I just stumbled across this, and thought it might be handy for some. For those of you that want the speech to text option, but don't have the microphone button on your keyboard (still have the comma button), I was able to swipe my finger left to right across the keyboard and it brought up a 'Speak Now' screen, and filled in the text field with the spoken words.

eliassami5

Reaction score
u sure? cuz it dont work for me lol. Maybe you are hitting the hard search key when you are swiping across the keyboard?

OP
J

JoeKacz

Reaction score
u sure? cuz it dont work for me lol. Maybe you are hitting the hard search key when you are swiping across the keyboard?

Nope, The speak now screen looks a little different, too. I'm running BB 0.9 if that matters. Perhaps it's a ROM thing?

tameone

Reaction score
Stock Android 2.1 keyboard has the microphone button in stead of the comma, however, swiping from left to right on ANY of the keyboard screens WILL bring up the "speak now" screen. So it looks like your ROM used a combination of the two, which IMO is the better solution but it would be tricky for people to figure out how to invoke the speak now command.

eliassami5

Reaction score
Stock Android 2.1 keyboard has the microphone button in stead of the comma, however, swiping from left to right on ANY of the keyboard screens WILL bring up the "speak now" screen. So it looks like your ROM used a combination of the two, which IMO is the better solution but it would be tricky for people to figure out how to invoke the speak now command.

am i the only one that cant do it? where are you swiping? from the up arrow the the enter? or from a letter to a letter? cuz whatever i try it dosent work for me.

EDIT..NVM

Apparently the notes app i was using would not allow me to do it (3banana), but it works everywhere else.

Last edited:

ccps

Reaction score
Not working with my SlideIT keyboard either. I also tried Vlingo beta. Not bad results from that. But it also only puts a speaker icon on the stock keyboard.

BrianD

Reaction score
Have Droid X and need speech to text app. What is the best?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Vlingo or Voice Commands

Sent from my DX

Xiix300

Reaction score
Alright well I upgraded to 1.1.1 and now all of a sudden i have no capability to talk into my phone and have it converted to speech. Like then i SMS the speak button isnt there and on the Google search bar it isnt there...

What am i missing?

Armyof2

Reaction score
Alright well I upgraded to 1.1.1 and now all of a sudden i have no capability to talk into my phone and have it converted to speech. Like then i SMS the speak button isnt there and on the Google search bar it isnt there...

What am i missing?

Go on the market and Install google search...then you'll have to move and rename the apk in either terminal or root explorer and rename from com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-1.apk to GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

The terminal command is...
(Case Sensitive!)
su
sysrw
cp /data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-1.apk /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
sysro

then reboot and you should be good.

Xiix300

Reaction score
Alright I'm not exactly sure about this BUT I keep getting an error when I try to get it installed (probably cause i have it installed already)....

So then when I go to rename and move it, I am using root explorer... do I just need to rename it or move it to? and if i have to move it, where do i move it FROM and where do i move it TO?

Armyof2

Reaction score
Alright I'm not exactly sure about this BUT I keep getting an error when I try to get it installed (probably cause i have it installed already)....

So then when I go to rename and move it, I am using root explorer... do I just need to rename it or move it to? and if i have to move it, where do i move it FROM and where do i move it TO?

ah well if it was installed already then you dun need the first step so..

you will need to move, not just rename, com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-1.apk in /data/app to /system/app after you move it then you rename it to GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

Xiix300

Reaction score
It's already there and it's already named that...

I have the quick search box... the thing I DONT have is...

the voice to text option. where i can press the button and speak and it recognizes it... not on the SMS or the quick search box or anything