Speech to Text - ####'ing cussing

82DMC12

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just updated to 2.1 and the speech to text is AWESOME... but!!

If you try to cuss such as the F word or S word, it spells it out as ####. Is there a way to turn the grade-school protection off so I can text like an adult?

Andy

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I support this post even though I don't have the issue.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
No, you can't add to the voice dictionary. Same goes for Voice Search and Google Voice transcription. They probably all 3 use the same transcription engine.

MaxBobcat

Reaction score
The reasoning of why they do this is that they don't want people to accidentally see a curse word when they did't say one and the voice-to-text converter hears it as a curse word.

like if some kid is using voice to text to message and says ship or duck and gets sh*t or f*ck...google would have a PR nightmare on their hands.

OP
82DMC12

82DMC12

Reaction score
The reasoning of why they do this is that they don't want people to accidentally see a curse word when they did't say one and the voice-to-text converter hears it as a curse word.

like if some kid is using voice to text to message and says ship or duck and gets sh*t or f*ck...google would have a PR nightmare on their hands.

Yeah I figured that was the deal. They should have a way to unlock swear words though. It's really making drunk-texting difficult ;-)

hogowner

Reaction score

Yeah I figured that was the deal. They should have a way to unlock swear words though. It's really making drunk-texting difficult ;-)

drunk texting is just as difficult without the swear words LOL LOL

'ask me how I know' :icon_eek:

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
X2 its smart enough to know F*CK = #### we should be able to disable that filter in settings :(

-=Jason=-

skidoo

Reaction score
It actually will transcribe cuss words, but only in certain contexts. Gotta talk (write) like James Mason. Or alternatively, be succinct and to-the-point.

For example: He was an a**hole yesterday.

No dice. The all-important adjective is censored with the usual four pound symbols.

But fancy it up a bit: I like the word a**hole. It's apropos for describing that tool; on more than one level.

Or perhaps a head-on assault, via text message? Just make sure your pejorative ends the sentence; that is, that you end your dictation with the word, "period."

Again, an example: You are a dumb f**k, and so is your little friend.

Nope. Censored.

But this'll be faithfully auto-typed all day long: You are a dumb f**k.

Yeah, I'm all about the most important features and limitations. :)

By the way: Anyone come across a guide for the speech-to-text? Like a dictionary of command-words and how to use them?

How the heck do you stick a hyphen between two words? What do you do if you want to "type" an acronym in all caps? Yeah, you can stop speaking at that point, use the keyboard, and then continue. But the system seems to do much better with entire clauses, or at least complete phrases (it seems to like as much context as possible). Stopping mid-sentence to key-in something messes with its mojo.

This sort of stuff is very clearly documented in MS speech-to-text, and works pretty well. I've seen zilch for Google's engine.

oche16

Reaction score

drunk texting is just as difficult without the swear words LOL LOL

'ask me how I know' :icon_eek:

Nice bike, I have a 2005 softail deluxe in that color!