Sony Unveils Xperia ZL2; Smaller Version of Xperia Z2 with New Outer Design

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sony-xperia-zl2.png

It's great to see that Sony was brave enough not to follow the lead of their competitors by saddling the smaller version of their flagship Xperia Z2 smartphone with the over-used "Mini" moniker. Sony just announced the Xperia ZL2, which is basically a smaller version of the Xperia Z2. This new phone also has a slightly different outer case design, which makes it stand out a bit. Regardless, it still keeps that same elegant design aesthetic that characterizes Sony smartphones so well.

Here's a breakdown of specs:
  • 5-inch 1080p Full HD touchscreen
  • 20.7 MP rear camera with LED flash and 4K video recording
  • 3 MP front camera
  • 2.3 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor
  • 3 GB of RAM
  • 32 GB of internal storage
  • A microSD card slot
  • 150 Mbps 4G LTE
  • Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS
  • 3,000 mAh battery
  • Android 4.4 KitKat
  • Dimensions are 137x72x10.8 mm, and weighs 167 grams
  • IP58 standard for water and dust resistance
Right now the device was only announced for the carrier KDDI in Japan. Let's cross our fingers that this puppy comes to other markets as well.

Source: UnWiredView

loki993

Reaction score
5 inches vs 5.2..id hardly call it smaller than the regular Z2.....a little disappointing actually...Id much rather this be a 4.5 or 4.7 inch screen.....

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's nice to see a "smaller" device being released that hasn't been neutered with sub-par specs. Let's hope they release it here in the States.

VERY interested in this phone. 0 shortcomings with that phone. Although...now I'm looking for something VoLTE compatible (which, depending, could actually be a detriment to business travelers).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
5 is the new 4.7. ;)

I don't know about this phone specifically, but most seem to have whittled down the bezels to get 5" screens in the same footprint as 4.7"

This is 10% wider than my Rezound (and 6% longer), and I love the size of the Rezound. Not a deal breaker, but on the very upper limit of size increase I'm willing to take.