Someone please school me

turdbogls

Reaction score
I am so lost...i did a bunch of reading but evey post seemed older and i was never really sure what version the phone was on when the post was made.

Here is what's going on, and what I am wondering.
I am rooted on 2.3.15 stock ROM....used Z4 root from XDA.

I used clockwork recovery on my original droid...can I use it on my current version of android? And does this have to be done through ROM manager or does it have to be manually flashed?

WTF is an SBF and why can't I just use a nandroid?

That's it...please point me in the right direction so I know I am using information that will work on my version of my phone. Thanks everyone.....really looking forward to flashing some ROMs

donballz

Reaction score
Yes, you can use Clockwork recovery. Just go to the Market and do the damn thing.

You only need to SBF if you screw something up. Its a safe way back so you know you can't ever completely ruin your phone. Don't worry about it till you need it.

After you have clockwork, you can get ROM Manager and go to town. Happy dancedroiding

OP
T

turdbogls

Reaction score
Yes, you can use Clockwork recovery. Just go to the Market and do the damn thing.

You only need to SBF if you screw something up. Its a safe way back so you know you can't ever completely ruin your phone. Don't worry about it till you need it.

After you have clockwork, you can get ROM Manager and go to town. Happy dancedroiding

OK thanks,
can i use RM to flash clockwork? or do i have to do that seperately? on my OG droid i just used RM to flash it.

EDIT: ok so i think i figured this out. i first need to flash Koush's bootstrap (DL the app from the market) then install ROM manager, and use that to flash Clockwork? will this work? then i am good to reboot into recovery and flash new ROMs/Themes?

Last edited:

jgomez52304

Reaction score
Im new with Dx, I used the z4root and I downloaded bootstrap and rom manager, and I have no luck going into recovery to flash a rom. What am I doing wrong? I came from D1 And i was all over that one 2nd day with x today any help would b great

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
T

turdbogls

Reaction score
Im new with Dx, I used the z4root and I downloaded bootstrap and rom manager, and I have no luck going into recovery to flash a rom. What am I doing wrong? I came from D1 And i was all over that one 2nd day with x today any help would b great

Thanks for hijacking my thread...lol j/k. i need to know as well. i would assume it would be flash bootstrap, DL rom manager, Flash clockwork, then use bootstrap to get into clockwork, then install ROM from there just like the OG droid.
but i am still not positive about this. i love the DX, but it is like 10x harder to find any info about modding this phone compared to the D1 (i know i know, locked bootloader/blur vs stock google)

jgomez52304

Reaction score
Haha my bad I just figured id jump ship with you. I tried the whole process and no luck, I download boot strap I flashed it and then clik work and I flashed that and then I downloaded a rom through rom manager and no luck. It would reboot act like it would install it and halfways it would reboot. So then I tried bootstrap and go into recovery and it would just reboot the phone. Any ideas or how should I try it differently? Your right about D1 that one was so easy to modify DX is giving md a headche lol

jgomez52304

Reaction score
I got to recovery through bootstrap. U wanna flash clockwork and then bootstrap then you use bootsrap recover

OP
T

turdbogls

Reaction score
Well i am currently making a backup using clockwork, and everything seems to be going as planned.....here is what i did.

Download bootstrapper for the Dx from the market, open it up, and click to top option..i think it said, bootstrap recovery, it said "successful"

i went to the market, Downloaded Rom manager, opened it up, chose the top button (flash clockworkmod recovery), chose my device (droid X) it flashed it successfully.

i opened up bootstrap, clicked reboot recovery, and it rebooted into clockwork, and everything was the same in there as it was on the D1, minus the navigation (using volume up/down to move between lines, and camera button to select)

successfully made my backup, i am downloading rubiX 1.9 now so we will see how that goes after lunch....i really need to get back to work. :)

OP
T

turdbogls

Reaction score
seems this process has gotten me successfully to rubiX 1.9. it is downloading all the apps, after that, i will be flashing the liquid green or whatever it is theme from the rubix forum. this is pretty cool so far.

EDIT: I am currently on the green theme for this and it is AMAZING. phone seems so much faster, looks much better. the only thing i dont like is the rubix cube in the notification pull down. can i use the method below to get rid of that and replace it with the android guy?
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...notification-drop-down-bar-3.html#post1066536

Last edited: