so many complainers and winers

corki2

Reaction score
We had a black and white TV. 3 channels. My dad bought a reel to reel projector and I saw my first colored cartoon on my living room wall. Mickey Mouse. No sound, but we didn't care.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

B0B0

Reaction score
Humans progress in technology outpaces the progress of our humility.

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
The more technology that comes into our lives to "bring us closer," seems to push us further apart. I see kids texting each other, while sitting next to each other.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dude...that wasn't that long ago. :biggrin:
I remember when the only way to contact someone was over a land line phone that was corded to the wall...and if they weren't home, you had absolutely no way of contacting them if you didn't know where they were. If you wanted to find them, you had to physically drive around and look for them. Sometimes you'd find them...and sometimes you didn't.
Haha I know it wasn't, but in terms of technology, it seems like forever. In terms of my life, it seems like forever ago.

Now I see 12 year old kids on FB and everywhere else talking about stuff they did as a kid. It annoys me because they still are kids.

I also think that you're not really a part of a decade unless you can remember stuff from that decade. People born in 1989 don't remember the 80's, therefore I don't think of them as 80's people.

As a kid, I would wake up...on my own, at like 7am on Saturday mornings to watch cartoons.
How I managed that I have no idea.
The subconscious inner clock is a power thing I guess.
I did the same thing. And now that I have 8 am classes, it kills me. Even work at 8 am doesn't seem as bad as an 8 am Calculus class.

I miss the old days, even though they weren't so long ago, it sure feels like it in terms of people and how things have changed.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I loved reading this thread. I was a product of the 80's. My dad always had to be different with the tech he bought. While everyone else had Atari 2600 and were trading games we had Odyssey. I remember loving Battlestar Galatica and standing in line to see Star Wars. Anyone remember Erector sets?

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Problem with erector sets was there wasn't quite enough pieces to build a cage for your sisters

Aximtreo

Reaction score
Born in the 40's; product of the 50's.
We had a "filling station" in rural NC. To pump gas, you had to pump the fuel up into a measured clear container and then let gravity feed it into the car.
We had roller skates with keys, flexi racers (sleds with wheels for the non snow times), 9" BW Westinghouse TV with 3 channels, ate dirt, peed off the back pourch at night to keep from going across the yard to the "jonny house", raced home after school to see The Mickey Mouse Club. We listened to Bill Haley and the Comets and Elvis on Ed Sullivan TV show.Momma said I was going to hell for listening to such heathen music.

Now 67, living in AZ and paying for all those sins I did as a kid; you know, the ones that you now wonder will keep you out of "heaven".
So many memories and so little time to enjoy them.:icon_ devil:

BigZig

Reaction score
Geez, there are so many complainers and winers here recently.

I remember when captain kirk's flip phone was envied science fiction.

I remember having only 5 television stations on a small black & white tv. Now people have hundreds of cable channels and complain at times that there's nothing to watch.

I remember playing monopoly, football, and pingpong because video games hadn't been invented yet.

I remember taking the city bus to school for 10 cents and accidentally leaving my new $100 clarinet on the bus.

I remember paying a quarter for a burger king whopper made my way. and the quarter was so large it almost filled up the palm of my hand.

Darn, writing this makes me feel old.

Do you also remeber walking to school uphill both ways in the snow with no shoes!!! :biggrin:

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
You went to the same school as my step father? He had 4 brothers that shared the same pair of shoes.

vatothe0

Reaction score
My first car was a red Beetle. There was a gas shortage. I had to get up at 5am on my gas day (according to the last number of your license plate) to get gas and it was .57 a gallon. $3.00 filed up my tank.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

When I first started driving in '96, gas was .89 a gallon. Which was good since my truck got 8mpg. 10 on the freeway!

vatothe0

Reaction score
As a kid, I would wake up...on my own, at like 7am on Saturday mornings to watch cartoons.
How I managed that I have no idea.
The subconscious inner clock is a power thing I guess.

But then, Sunday. All church shows, (nearly) all channels, all morning. It ended up watching Meet the Press or painting with Bob Ross.

Drew_P

Reaction score
vatothe0 said:
But then, Sunday. All church shows, (nearly) all channels, all morning. It ended up watching Meet the Press or painting with Bob Ross.

Hell yeah!!! Bob Ross was the man!!! "lets put a little friend here for our lonely tree"

sent from my Rezound powered bolt of thunder!!!

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Drew_P said:
Hell yeah!!! Bob Ross was the man!!! "lets put a little friend here for our lonely tree"

Such a happy little cloud....