So confused about .jar/.jad files

matogl0396

Reaction score
I'm trying to download some games for my Droid. I chose this phone instead of the enV Touch because I was under the impression that Android was much more "app friendly" and "open," so why can't I download any files straight to my phone? I just checked and I can't even download .txt files??

Thanks in advance for any assistance, I'm sure it's just something stupid I'm not realizing...

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Android files have an extension of .apk

not sure what the issue is about the text file.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well it won't play java games like .jar and .jad files. Go into the market and look through all those apps, there are plenty of free ones.

As for the txt files, there is an app (free) called Download Crutch that lets you download any type of file you want. I installed it and have since downloaded zip files, text files, exe files to install on my pc later, etc.

OP
M

matogl0396

Reaction score
Well it won't play java games like .jar and .jad files. Go into the market and look through all those apps, there are plenty of free ones.

As for the txt files, there is an app (free) called Download Crutch that lets you download any type of file you want. I installed it and have since downloaded zip files, text files, exe files to install on my pc later, etc.

I figured out how to download files now, got the Linda Download Manager and that works, but now I can't run/install the .jar file. You're telling me this phone can't? Neither could my dad's enV Touch...what the hell phones can??

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score

I figured out how to download files now, got the Linda Download Manager and that works, but now I can't run/install the .jar file. You're telling me this phone can't? Neither could my dad's enV Touch...what the hell phones can??
a .jar is a java file. Android doesn't run java applications. This is true for the iPhone, Windows Mobile, Palm, and others as well. You can probably find the app you are trying to run in an Android version?

OP
M

matogl0396

Reaction score
a .jar is a java file. Android doesn't run java applications. This is true for the iPhone, Windows Mobile, Palm, and others as well. You can probably find the app you are trying to run in an Android version?

I'll try looking for that. I also did find a free app in the market that says it will run java/j2me apps but that doesn't seem to be working for me either, says there is an error parsing the package.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I did read about an app in the market (don't remember the name) that would convert them but it was kinda hit or miss depending on what you were converting. Same went for some app on WinMo that attempted to do the same thing.