Send not in contact list calls to voice mail

FrankJNatoli

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Have Verizon Droid Turbo and cannot find a dialer app that automatically sends incoming calls not in contact list to voice mail. Wife's iPhone 7, with recent iOS update, provides that option. Standard Verizon dialer app looks up incoming caller ID in contact list to show caller name, so there's no question the dialer app is contact list aware. Verizon wants to sell a monthly service to block calls but that is for explicit numbers. Am now getting swamped with bogus caller IDs to my area code and exchange. Every hour a different call. Can't block that. Is there any dialer app that will automatically send incoming calls not in contact list to voice mail?

JandN2639

Reaction score
There are several apps for this purpose. We use Hiya on our Android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

FrankJNatoli

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Thank you, but everything I can read online about Hiya says that you have to manually block numbers.
Apparently, you can specify an area code and exchange, e.g., XXX-YYY-ZZZZ, so by entering XXX-YYY all incoming ZZZZ are blocked, including those in your contact list!
Can you please confirm that, using Hiya on your Droid, you never enter 10 digit numbers, never enter XXX-YYY, simply check "if not in contact list, go to voice mail", and off it goes?
Also, online information says when you subscribe to Hiya, the app uploads your entire contact list to Hiya as a condition of service. Is this still true?
I don't want "smart" blocking. I just want any incoming call not in my contact list to go to voice mail.

JandN2639

Reaction score
You want something no app can give you. You want a way to send numbers not on your contact list to voicemail, without accessing your list. That is simply not possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

FrankJNatoli

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I said nothing of the sort.
Online information about Hiya says that your entire contact list is uploaded to Hiya corporate, which maintains its own list of "good" and "bad" numbers.
That is not to be confused with an app, running on the Droid, checking the local contact list for "good" versus "bad" numbers.
I don't want my Droid to have to contact Hiya corporate, on the web, to determine if an incoming call is "good" or bad".
If you want Hiya corporate to know the phone numbers of everyone you know, that's your choice.
But not mine.
Thank you for your time.

Penington

Reaction score
You should be aware of one thing, though: the Silence Unknown Callers feature isn’t great if you’re expecting phone calls from a doctor’s office, colleague, or anyone else whose number might not be in your phone.