Security on Open Source Network?

kimberjoih

Reaction score
I'm admittedly a total noob here - after using the same crappy flip phone for the last 6 years that only made phone calls (no texts), my new fancy schmancy droid is taking a bit of getting used to.

I was told by a friend that I should be very cautious if I do any online banking or anything, as this is an open source network and anything I do can be seen by everyone. I'm not really sure what this even means. I've looked up "open source network" but haven't really been able to find a definition that makes sense in layman's terms. I'm no techie, so much of the lingo is lost on me. So is my friend correct? Should I never access my bank account on my phone? Are there other things that I need to be cautious about regarding security? Any info or enlightenment is appreciated. Thanks! :)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your friend is talking out of his @$$.

Security over the phone is pretty much the same as security on a laptop. Use only HTTPS (a bank's app is preferable), dont share your passwords, log out when you're done. Easy peasy.

He may have been trying to tell you that it's an open network, which is true in the sense that there is no password like a WiFi setup, but there's no easy way to intercept data, since it's chipped (keyed) to your specific phone. It's not passworded like WiFi, but it's far from unencrypted bits floating in the ether like poetry writers at Starbucks.

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what this even means. I've looked up "open source network" but haven't really been able to find a definition that makes sense in layman's terms.:)
You're looking for "open network". I have no idea what an "open source network" would be either since a network doesn't really have source code to distribute.

The routers could be open source, I guess...

brando56894

Reaction score
Thats exactly what I was about to say "theres no such thing as an 'open source network'" I think the word he was looking for was unsecure/unencrypted. AFAIK cell phone transmissions are encrypted and on top of that most websites that deal with money or sensitive info use the SSL (secure socket layer) protocol to encrypt the data transmissions. A lot of the SSL algorithms they use would take years to crack even with clusters of supercomputers (I believe that anything equal to or above 512 bit encryption falls into this category)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
A lot of the SSL algorithms they use would take years to crack even with clusters of supercomputers (I believe that anything equal to or above 512 bit encryption falls into this category)

It just depends on the encryption standard. If I recall from my crypto courses, 256 bit AES is harder to crack than 512 bit RSA...

pyro6128

Reaction score
your friend is an idiot and likes to make up terms. Just follow the same type of security you would on a computer in regards to your personal information and you'll be fine.

OP
K

kimberjoih

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! This was very helpful... I'll let him know he sucks. ;)

brando56894

Reaction score
We were all like that once, knock him down a few notches and tell him to read up!

A lot of the SSL algorithms they use would take years to crack even with clusters of supercomputers (I believe that anything equal to or above 512 bit encryption falls into this category)

It just depends on the encryption standard. If I recall from my crypto courses, 256 bit AES is harder to crack than 512 bit RSA...

True, I didnt take into account the standards (blowfish, two-fish, RSA, AES, etc..)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

True, I didnt take into account the standards (blowfish, two-fish, RSA, AES, etc..)[/QUOTE]

No worries, I had to flex my nerd muscles :)