SD Card Issue

zer0ed77

Reaction score
Hey, guys.

Think I have a major SD Card issue.

I am running Liberty 2.0.1. No other changes were made recently. Been running Liberty 2.0.1 for about a week now, without many issues. Been installing some software, but nothing I think that would cause this.

Today, about 15 minutes ago, out of the blue, I received a message my SD card had been unmounted. Indeed it was. I powered off. Removed the card. Put it back in. Powered on. Same problem. Says the card is in an unsupported format or has no data on it. I know that's not true. It's prompting me to format the card, which I don't want to do.

I also tried manually mounting the card through settings. No go! Still same message.

Any help, guys?

OP
zer0ed77

zer0ed77

Reaction score
Hey, guys.

I am running Liberty 2.0.1. No other changes were made recently. Been running Liberty 2.0.1 for about a week now, without many issues. Been installing some software, but nothing I think that would cause this.

Today, about 15 minutes ago, out of the blue, I received a message my SD card had been unmounted. Indeed it was. I powered off. Removed the card. Put it back in. Powered on. Same problem. Says the card is in an unsupported format or has no data on it. I know that's not true. It's prompting me to format the card, which I don't want to do.

I also tried manually mounting the card through settings. No go! Still same message.

Any help, guys?

Well, after some more troubleshooting, it seems either the card has gone bad or somehow became erased. My GF also has a Droid X. I did a swap. Tried her's SD card in my device. All is well. Then tried my SD card in her Droid X. Same problem. Also, without saying, the card cannot be read as a drive in Windows 7 anymore.

It's now prompting me to format the card, which I am going to go ahead and do. I am just wondering if some one with more Android experience can chime in and give me a clue has this could have happened. I am very technical and know that hardware simply fails, but is there another way this could have happened? The card seems functional, as long as I format it. Bet it would happen again, though.

Can anyone chime in?

OP
zer0ed77

zer0ed77

Reaction score
Hey, guys.

Any help, guys?

Well, after some more troubleshooting, it seems either the card has gone bad or somehow became erased. My GF also has a Droid X. I did a swap. Tried her's SD card in my device. All is well. Then tried my SD card in her Droid X. Same problem. Also, without saying, the card cannot be read as a drive in Windows 7 anymore.

It's now prompting me to format the card, which I am going to go ahead and do. I am just wondering if some one with more Android experience can chime in and give me a clue has this could have happened. I am very technical and know that hardware simply fails, but is there another way this could have happened? The card seems functional, as long as I format it. Bet it would happen again, though.

Can anyone chime in?

Alright... Plot thickens. Really want some input.

When I try to format the card or mount the card, I get nice message:
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0 (or /dev/block.mmcblk01)
(No such file or directory)
Error mounting SDCARD:!

Any help, guys?

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Before trying to format the card anymore, see if you can get a file recovery program to "see" the card and its contents...I highly recommend GetDtatBack...has saved me backside many times.

Download and install GDB on your PC or Laptop, then, if you have the ability and hardware needed, mount your microSd card into a SD Card reader that can be read by your PC. Boot GBD and see if it can read the sd card...if it can, it is very likely it can recover some or all of the files contained on it.

If this can be done, once you complete recovery, then try and reformat the sd card...

OP
zer0ed77

zer0ed77

Reaction score
Before trying to format the card anymore, see if you can get a file recovery program to "see" the card and its contents...I highly recommend GetDtatBack...has saved me backside many times.

Download and install GDB on your PC or Laptop, then, if you have the ability and hardware needed, mount your microSd card into a SD Card reader that can be read by your PC. Boot GBD and see if it can read the sd card...if it can, it is very likely it can recover some or all of the files contained on it.

If this can be done, once you complete recovery, then try and reformat the sd card...

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't have a card reader. The good thing is, there isn't too much data on the card I am worried about.

My main concern now, as explain in my previous post, I am not able to format the card. Perhaps I could format it using Windows 7 and a card reader.

If I have to buy a card reader, I may as well put the money towards a new SD card.

At this point, I'd love to know what's causing the error reported about or if the card just magically went bad or wiped itself.

Thanks a lot for your great response. I am going to get that app you mentioned.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Well, to be truthful, miniSD cards are not the greatest at non-faulting out of the blue...it happens a lot.

If you arent real concerned with the data loss, then I would carry the sd card back to Verizon and have them try and mount it...when it fails, they should replace the card for you either free or at a reduced cost...:)

OP
zer0ed77

zer0ed77

Reaction score
Okay... Cannot even format the card.

As suggested, I may take it back and see if they'll hook me up. Bit worded about doing this with a rooted and ROMed phone. Guess I could just take the card back and see if they'll work with me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
zer0ed77

zer0ed77

Reaction score
Okay... The journey has come to an end. I bought a new 16GB micro SD card. Turn out, the old one was just plain and simple fried. Hooking it up to a card read and using a file recovery system was worthless. None of them can even detect the card. The card is completely done.

Well, have the new one and all is well now. Hopefully this doesn't happen again for a long time.

thinman72069

Reaction score
Yesterday out of the blue, my sd card died. Long story short, the 16gb cards they included with the x's are bad. I could have had it replaced for free, but I opted for the 32gb for only $30 for my trouble.
As sweet as that was, it's little consolation for all the work I'm having to put in to my phone to get back to where I like it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3
Motorola went as cheap as possible with the cards in the Droid X. Mine failed within 3 months, and so did the one in my mom's Droid X.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Well, I cant speak for all DX`s, but mine has a 16gb SanDisk card in it..straight out of the box, and so far, it has worked as it should. I have had my phone since late August/early September of 2010...numerous files transferred from phone to pc/pc to phone, ROM swaps, Theme installs and even OS updates...no issues from my phone or SD card as of yet...:)