screen keeps turning on and off.

jlk316

Reaction score
Recently i have noticed my screen will sometimes turn on and off again and just keep cycling. Anyone else had this issue.

arabstar1982

Reaction score
Yep, sure do. Its annoying. I work midnights and when I'm driving to work and it keeps popping on in the dark is distracting. I lay it screen down now.....

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Recently i have noticed my screen will sometimes turn on and off again and just keep cycling. Anyone else had this issue.
It sounds as if you might have a 3rd party app that is causing the issue. I'm not sure this will help identify the problem, but it might help troubleshoot the issue. Place your phone in safe mode (go here for how to do that:Safe Mode - DROID RAZR / RAZR MAXX by MOTOROLA). Safe mode prevents any app that you have downloaded and installed from running. It allows only factory installed apps and system designed functions to be performed. Your voice and data will not be effected nor will it erase or delete any data, pictures, videos etc that you may have stored. Run your phone in safe mode for awhile and see if the issue stops. If it does then you have a 3rd party app causing the problem.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I noticed this was happening on my phone when I upgraded to .211 ICS, FWIW I have not seen it happen since I installed the .215 leak.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Odd... none of my maxx's do it.. :blink: that's strange.. has anyone checked to see if there's any info in the battery area that says what's waking up the device?

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! are we vanquished yet?????:blink:

Justmefromthelbc

Reaction score
This has been happening to me for around a month. Screen turns on by itself and is on the lock screen, and it stays on for however long I have my 'screen timeout' set for, then turns off again. I downloaded an app called 'Spare Parts' and it has a function that tells you what apps or phone functions turn on during the day and keeps count to how many times they are used. I downloaded this because of a recommendation from another thread to try and see if any apps are running in the background, and how many times they activate. When I went to bed, everything was on zero. When I woke up in the morning my battery was down from a full charge to only 50%! When I checked 'Spare Parts', it showed that my screen had turned on 31 times that night and that NO OTHER APP OR FUNCTION HAD ACTIVATED WHATSOEVER. I had my phone on automatic brightness and screen time out at 5 minutes (I read a lot of web pages and hate it when the screen turns off because I haven't touched it). The only conclusion that I can come to is that there is something wrong with the phone. I need to go and swap it out and see if that does anything.

In the mean time I have set a smart action that is set for: When it is night time, at my house, and there is no phone movement... set brightness to the lowest setting, and screen time out at 15 seconds. This way my battery doesn't drain so much while I am asleep.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Wow.. that sucks... I hope your next device doesn't do that.

I'm very lucky I guess .. because my devices don't do this....I wish you luck...:cool:

interval

Reaction score
Its sucks, but not the end of the world.

Its simply an annoying defect. And it is a defect, it should be addressed by google. I assume Google is responsible until I can nail down which app(s) are causing it. I say its not that bad, but with a caveat; 1) it wears down the battery unnessessarily, and that's bad, but not a show stopper. But then 2) I keep my x2 in a pocket as the slick holster I bought for it broke its belt clip after a year (yay Chinese products), and I assume that since the screen lights up that induces the phone to unlock. As the phone unlocks that allows the lining of my pocket to do things like select the dialer and start dialing the phone, which happened to me yesterday. Its annoying and I would like some one to address it.

jaye712

Reaction score
This is interesting..my phone does it too,ever since i got the razr last November.i realized(for me anyway),itll turn on n off everytime i lose 4g.dnt matter if it lost connection or find it again..on n off..pretty annoying.iam startin to think its a RAZR thing.idk,i mite be wrong..but my screen does it when losin or getin back 4g

RAZR215unrooted

Tristalyn

Reaction score
I also have an HTC Incredible 2 and for the past month or so have also been experiencing this problem. This is my second phone.. so swapping it sorta seems a bit much. But none of my apps are causing this either. If anyone can find a fix (that doesn't include swapping it out) I'd love to hear it! Thanks :)

jaybogg

Reaction score
This is interesting..my phone does it too,ever since i got the razr last November.i realized(for me anyway),itll turn on n off everytime i lose 4g.dnt matter if it lost connection or find it again..on n off..pretty annoying.iam startin to think its a RAZR thing.idk,i mite be wrong..but my screen does it when losin or getin back 4g

RAZR215unrooted

I guess anything that wakes up the screen could cause it, mine does it occasionally but not for a while now. Seems like I remember seeing a dialog box like "lost connection", or "searching for network" momentarily flash on the screen when I was outside one night and it started doing it in my pocket and I pulled it out to see what was going on. Didn't think much of it at the time other than, "oh, ok" and put it back in my pocket. Guess I should have paid closer attention, but didn't mean anything to me at the time. The dialog box literally flashed up and was gone so fast it was like some of the dialog boxes that flash on your computer when you run a DOS script.

ahikmat

Reaction score

Third party apps can use "wakelock" to turn on the screen,

Check wakelock usage statistics with "Wakelock detector"

It is available in Google Play, Free!!