Samsung Underestimated Sales of Galaxy S III by about 2 Million Units

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;v9WdMjPkbHo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9WdMjPkbHo&feature=player_detailpage[/video]​

Although the commercial above doesn't directly relate to the story at hand, it was very evocative, so it seemed worth sharing along with it. Apparently, Samsung left money on the table, so to speak. Recently, Samsung indicated it will likely sell over 10 Million units of their new flagship Galaxy S III by the end of July alone. According to a new Gartner analysis, Samsung may have missed the opportunity to sell about 2 Million more than that number.

The report suggests that two primary factors kept Samsung from hitting its full potential. One was that a small technical glitch in the release of the "pebble blue" version of the international SGS3 caused a slow down. The other is that Samsung may have underestimated the popularity of the new device by overestimating the competition. This lead them to aim a bit low on their sales estimates. Here's a quote from Gartner analyst Carolina Milanesi, "Samsung might have been caught off guard by the demand, not because they did not believe in their own products, but because they might have over-estimated the competition. In other words, aside from the iPhone and HTC's oneX there's not much out there at the moment, which would have certainly helped Samsung."

CLSA analyst Matt Evans said, "It's increasingly apparent the Galaxy S III is being considered a true peer to the iPhone, rather than simply the least-bad alternative. The change in status is most evident in the uniformity of the device among the five U.S. carriers. Unlike the Galaxy S II, there's little customization. Samsung has obviously developed huge leverage in negotiations with carriers and created a 'must have' handset."

Source: S3Forums via Reuters

acousticshade

Reaction score
Um, the article should say, "...aside from the HTC oneX there's not much out there at the moment..."

I'm sorry, but the current I-Phone does NOT compare to the specs of the 2 new Android devices.

Additional things that also helped Sammy was that Verizon does not sell the oneX and shipments of those devices was held up in customs.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Um, the article should say, "...aside from the HTC oneX there's not much out there at the moment..."

I'm sorry, but the current I-Phone does NOT compare to the specs of the 2 new Android devices.

Additional things that also helped Sammy was that Verizon does not sell the oneX and shipments of those devices was held up in customs.

That is a quote directly from Gartner analyst Carolina Milanesi, which is why I did not alter it to match what you said, even though I agree with you. :)

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I've also been hearing that customers with the Samsung Galaxy S II who are receiving the ICS OTA update are having major issues with it. I don't know if a master reset fixes the issues but honestly that's just sad that an update causes so many problems. I though Microsoft had the market cornered on poorly implemented updates but apparently not.