Samsung Gear S Firmware Update 2016

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've found links on competitive forums and a few tidbits here and there that there is definitely a firmware update for the original Gear S that was released recently but no timetables other than owners using Sprint are already getting the update. In the tidbits, it seems that it is only under the hood fixes for the ogS . It makes me wonder if Samsung was actually paying attention to the fact that the S is incompatible with Marshmallow right note on the S7 and instead of the usual abandonment without a solution they've actually done something about it other than another attempt at updating the Gear Manager app. I've not found anything official from Samsung itself, though I'm not surprised at all about that since both of my previous updates showed up with no news from either Samsung or my carrier about its probable push timeline.
Chime in when you get the update and which carrier you're with.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon released on the 7th of this month...I just updated today since I am back on my Note 5.

Here is the link showing what the update includes...
Samsung Gear S Software Update | Verizon Wireless
Thanks. That's the first official thing I've seen from anybody . From what I understand it adds features to the S2, but again I didn't see any details on competitive (cough xda cough AC ) forums.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Never found any release dates for my S to get the new firmware but it just installed.
052e13f1362ec052c622a3b215ad5d1f.jpg

1278856cd4cdc5bffae0fc93d2c73c0e.jpg

df042d05e5c9c5f8fed7c268fd37d0d6.jpg

Now that my watch is fully M compatible I'm not concerned that I eventually get the phone update before the watch is ready. I'm also kinda surprised Samsung didn't already fully abandon the S1 since it's been out about 18 months now. The Gear 1, Gear 2 , Neo and Fit were all abandoned well within a year of release.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><