Samsung Galaxy S7 Costs $255 to Make (in Physical Parts Only)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung_galaxy7_exploded_view.jpg

In a surprising twist, the Samsung Galaxy S7 costs about the same to make as the Galaxy S5 from two years ago. That total price is a surprisingly low $255 dollars. Please keep in mind that this price is only for the total cost for actual physical parts. It is not reflective of Samsung's costs for software, labor, marketing and R&D.

What's most impressive about this is that Samsung was actually able to dial back their costs from the Samsung Galaxy S6 bill of materials. The most expensive part in the new Galaxy S7 is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820. It actually accounts for almost a quarter of the total bill at $62. The fancy new camera in the Galaxy S7 apparently costs $13.70.

It's tough to predict just how much all of the other costs associated with the build and development of the Galaxy S7 might add on to the total; however, even if you guesstimate liberally and double the total cost of materials to account for those non-physical costs, that suggests Samsung is making around $150 per device in profit, ($255 x2 = $510; $670 - $510 = $160). That's not too shabby considering how many millions of these devices Samsung is likely to sell. What do you folks think?

Here's our dedicated Samsung Galaxy S7 section for further discussion: Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge

Source: Re/code

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I'd really like to see more of how those numbers come about..... Is it per piece price or were they able to establish the quantity discount rate that Samsung would have got.... To me that price seems high per unit with the number they will produce.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk