Samsung Galaxy S5 Gets Its Turn 'Under the Knife' with iFixit

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-s5-disassembled.jpeg

We have another story about a Samsung Galaxy S5 "going under the knife," but this time it's only figurative and not literal like the silly and dangerous hammer test video from yesterday. This one is also more professional and far more useful. It's the Samsung Galaxy S5's turn for disassembly by those uber-techs at iFixit.

[video=youtube;Nvs1MAXGh0s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Nvs1MAXGh0s[/video]​

While on the surgeons' table, the Samsung Galaxy S5 scores a mediocre 5 out of 10 on the repairability scale. The battery is the easiest component to replace if/when it is necessary. This time iFixit even included a video of the dissection, if you are not the squeamish type. In the end, here's a quote of the summary for the Galaxy S5 teardown from iFixit,

Samsung Galaxy S5 Repairability Score: 5 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair).
  • The battery is incredibly easy to remove and replace.
  • The display is now one of the first components out, making replacements a little faster. However, it is held in with a significant amount of adhesive and requires very careful and persistent prying and a considerable amount of heat to remove without cracking the glass or cutting cables.
  • Once you get the device open, several components are modular and fairly easy to replace, such as the cameras, headphone jack, vibrator motor, and speakers.
  • Replacing anything other than the battery requires first removing the display, risking extra damage on the way to a repair.
Be sure to watch their video above, and check out all the pics and details at the iFixit source link below.

[Editor's note: I wonder if Johnny 5 thinks of these videos as snuff films?]

Source: iFixit

combatmedic870

Reaction score
So there has been some conflicting information about the S5 vs the M8. Chip works just unveiled it once and for all. The S5 has the same 2gb ram chip as the M8. So both have LPDDR3 ram chips.
Done and done.

Side note, of coarse Johnny 5 loves these tear downs!! :)

Last edited:
OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So there has been some conflicting information about the S5 vs the M8. Chip works just unveiled it once and for all. The S5 has the same 2gb ram chip as the M8. So both have LPDDR3 ram chips.
Done and done.

Side note, of coarse Johnny 5 loves these tear downs!! :)

You think so? I suspect he would be appalled by them.

"Disassemble? NO disassemble!" ~ Johnny 5

Of course, maybe he has gone psychotic over the years after having lived with humans for so long...

Instead of "Johnny 5 is alive," the catch phrase for the new Short Circuit Reboot would be... "Johnny 5 is Skynet!"

combatmedic870

Reaction score
You think so? I suspect he would be appalled by them.

"Disassemble? NO disassemble!" ~ Johnny 5

Of course, maybe he has gone psychotic over the years after having lived with humans for so long...

Instead of "Johnny 5 is alive," the catch phrase for the new Short Circuit Reboot would be... "Johnny 5 is Skynet!"

Hahahaha! I didnt think about his main catch phrase. I personally think, after johnny 5's rehab(upgrade problem, selling hiself to upgrade), he had to turn to something less self detructive. He just likes to see the parts he COULD upgrade to. He's really drueling over that new qualcomm modem, and has been since the 800 series has come out. Im worried about a relapse. Robots these days, I tell you what.