S3 Poor Reception

OP
T
Reaction score
jackiescivic said:
I used to have amazing 4g service in my home with my Maxx and never really saw 1x with the X2. I spend more time on 3g and 1x with the S3 in this house than I care to mention. Out of the 3 phone calls I have had with the phone in as many weeks, I have dropped 1 call and the phone still showed 2 bars of signal. Plus, I've been getting A LOT of non-sent text messages. I never had that problem with any of my other phones. I have NEVER dropped a call with the Motorola. Phone calls aren't all that important to me, since I rarely make them. But not having internet and having so many failed text messages is really irritating me. If Motorola had a better camera, I would go back to my Maxx. *sigh* lol

The background picture I have on my GS3 right now was taken with my Motorola Droid Bionic and it's bright and vivid enough for me. I'll take Motorola's slightly inferior camera over dropped calls any day.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I got 3 letters for u.. HTC! Sell both do urself a favor and get the htc dna! ;)

Not going to happen. Had similar reception issues with my Incredible. I'm a Motorola fan for life. My house is a deadzone for every carrier and every brand of phone except Motorola

music life

Reaction score
Yes, my dropped calls were all in my head. If I would have just had a more positive attitude, my optimism would have boosted my signal ten-fold. I've never owned a Samsung and therefore have no preconceived notions of Samsung phones. My observations are based on my own experience, and the signal strength in areas that I spend time in on a daily basis is definitely weaker to nonexistent with the GS3. Take it for what you will. If you have no signal issues, then congrats to you and enjoy your GS3.

lol then switch phones if you hate the S3 that much. I keep reading the same people bash the s3 all over the place... If you dont like it then get rid of it.

music life

Reaction score
I got 3 letters for u.. HTC! Sell both do urself a favor and get the htc dna! ;)

Im guessing you bleed HTC.. bc every time i read an S3 thread i see your name bashing it and hyping the HTC.

Sure hope the DNA is as good as you think its gonna be... given HTC history id be a little worried. But then again what do i know :)

OP
T
Reaction score
TechnologicallyChallenged said:
After reading multiple reviews, I think I'm going to go ahead and exchange my S3 for the Maxx HD. Nice phone, Samsung, but I just can't have such weak antennas when I live in a semi-rural area. If not for the dropped calls, I most likely would hold on to this phone.

@music life- I'm working on it. I do have a full time job that I have to go to and I happen to have to work this weekend as well. I keep saying over and over that the S3 is a nice phone aside from MY experience with signal issues. Don't get your panties in a wad because you THINK I'm bashing your most favorite phone in the whole wide world. And if there's a Veteran's Day sale next weekend on phones, I'll hang onto this one for a while longer to save a few bucks.

music life

Reaction score
@music life- I'm working on it. I do have a full time job that I have to go to and I happen to have to work this weekend as well. I keep saying over and over that the S3 is a nice phone aside from MY experience with signal issues. Don't get your panties in a wad because you THINK I'm bashing your most favorite phone in the whole wide world. And if there's a Veteran's Day sale next weekend on phones, I'll hang onto this one for a while longer to save a few bucks.

hahaha. Wow how old are you? you sound like a child.

OP
T
Reaction score
music life said:
hahaha. Wow how old are you? you sound like a child.

Old enough to see this for the lame attempt it is to drag me into a pointless flame war. For those of you not experiencing issues with the S3, it's a great phone- keep it. It's all about what your priorities are in a phone and one, for me, is signal strength. So best of luck to all of you, and may you find the phone that makes you happy. And now I am done with this thread. :)

Psycholist

Reaction score
GS3- great hand computer, lousy phone

I agree with the weak GS3 reception! I live in the Sierras and although the Moto X and Moto Bionic that I used for a few year had NOOO issues with dropped calls on my drive home from the Valley, the GS3 drops calls in about 3 different locations once in the hills. Verizon, who I love, tried an OTA settings update and a new SIM Card to try to fix the issue. No luck. As an experiment, I bought the Razr Maxx HD, for a day, and the phone was rock solid all the way home. No surprise. Unfortunately, the Razr's camera is as lame as the Bionics is and their idea of a 4.7 screen SHOULDN'T include the menu/back/recent apps buttons on the bottom that never go away. Back to the GS3 for now until the HTC DNA comes out. Hear that their radio is as good as Moto's, but the DNA specs are awesome!

NOVICE

Reaction score
Upgraded from Galaxy Nexus (running JellyBean) to GS3. Knock wood, haven't had any dropped calls or radio problems.
Don't know what I would do if I had reception problems as I am absolutely wedded to this phone and cannot conceive of replacing it--even with Note 2.
Replaceable battery is mandatory for me as I run every feature and capability with max screen brightness and 5 to 6 hours of internet every day. Have 2 extra batteries and external charger but seldom have to switch out battery during the day. With my GNexus I exchanged battery 3x every day without fail.
I even like TouchWiz which probably puts me in a minority.

mettech

Reaction score
Would the phone case have any negative affect?

I am thinking about replacing my Otterbox Defender. When the Otterbox is off, I think the phone doesn't drop calls.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
mettech said:
Would the phone case have any negative affect?

I am thinking about replacing my Otterbox Defender. When the Otterbox is off, I think the phone doesn't drop calls.

I dropped calls without a case

Hayes

Reaction score
I had a problem with my iphone 4s and the lifeproof case. When I installed that case, me reception went to hell. Mettech, cases can definitely affect signal.

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
Mine s3 has been rock solid as far as no dropped calls or poor radio signal. I am coming from a Rezound which had excellent radio signal. Now, my S3 does have poor radio signal compared to my Rezound. My Rezound would have - 85 and my S3 has - 97 atm. But it is holding my 4G signal very good. The only problem with my S3 is the wifi. I leave my 4G on at home cause my S3 doesn't like my Netgear Gigabyte Dual Band router. For some odd reason reason whenever my S3 screen goes to sleep so does my wifi. And when I go use use the phone again it takes forever for the wifi to kick back on even though it says I am still connected to my wifi network. Plus, I get better battery with my wifi turned off.