[Rumor]Nexus 5 Not Coming to Google I/O; Instead 32GB LTE LG Nexus 4 with Android 5.0

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-logo-bold.png

For the past several months we have heard a string of rumors regarding Google's big plans for next gen products at Google I/O in May of this year. One of the prominent theories suggested that Google would be showcasing a Nexus 5 smartphone as a follow-up to the Nexus 4. New intel just popped up on the grid today suggesting that may not be the case after-all. Supposedly, Google plans to offer a newly revamped version of the Nexus 4. This new version will again be made by LG, but will come with a number of enhancements to make it appeal to a wider audience.

First, the device is said to be a 32GB storage device. Also, it will come equipped with Android 5.0/Key Lime Pie, which is not at all surprising considering it is the next Nexus device, and Google's next OS version is likely Android 5.0. The final interesting detail regarding the device is that it will supposedly make up for the previous Nexus 4's lack of LTE and will also include a CDMA-capable radio for Sprint and Verizon.

Although this sounds like a made-up wish list for a Verizon or Sprint customer who wants an LTE Nexus 4, there is some logic to it that makes it quite plausible. If Google/Motorola plan to release the new X Phone in the fall of this year as the rumors are suggesting, it wouldn't make sense to launch the Nexus 5 this year at all. This would cause the Nexus 5 and the X Phone to compete during a very close time-frame, causing Google to effectively compete with itself. An Android 5.0 equipped enhanced and refreshed Nexus 4 makes more sense from a marketing perspective.

Source: Sidhtech

Reaction score
DAMMIT! And I JUST bought the 16gig Nexus 4.....Why couldn't they have made 32gig an option from the FREAKING START?

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I'm perfectly content with my Galaxy Nexus (aside from the battery life since flashing 4.2.2), and yet I'm still intrigued by the thought of a 32GB Nexus 4 w/LTE. I think this device would make a lot of people happy, and I might even consider it if I wasn't anticipating the X Phone more.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
DAMMIT! And I JUST bought the 16gig Nexus 4.....Why couldn't they have made 32gig an option from the FREAKING START?

It never would have met their price point back then. The name of Google's game is highest spec for the cheapest price, and since 32gb of RAM is worth $100, no way it could have come to the original N4. Offering multiple options has been a plague of sorts to the OEM's, because generally people will gobble only one version and the rest can't sell, e.g. Nexus 7. If you build 1,000,000 16's and 500,000 64's and sell all 1,000,000 16's and 200,000 64's only to have to eat it financially to move product it can be sort of hazardous, and how do you guess how much to prepare for? I think we'll see this problem in large scale once the Moto X phone comes out if the customization rumors are true, they'll have to change their manufacturing of particular components on the fly to meet demand, so their will always either be a surplus or a deficit in availability.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
I hope this isn't the beginning of Google acting like Apple... "Introducing, the NEW Nexus 4"

These upgrades aren't enough to keep me from holding out for whatever the X may be... and if the X falls short, then this new Nexus4 will have a price drop by then to appeal to everyone :)

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why would someone today buy a phone without 4G LTE, is beyond me, and only 16 gigs. I don't care if it's pure Google, no LTE no sale for me. So how is that slow 3G treating you.

boidsonly

Reaction score
I adopted the SGS3 late but will give it up for the "NEW" N4. My VZW contract is up next month and we are leaving VZW as soon as I can settle on another carrier. I will never ever sign a contract with a carrier/anyone again.

Looking hard at T-Mobile right now...

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why would someone today buy a phone without 4G LTE, is beyond me, and only 16 gigs. I don't care if it's pure Google, no LTE no sale for me. So how is that slow 3G treating you.
I know right,the nerve of us having the freedom of choice.I mean imagine,30 dollars a mth or 70 dollars a mth unlimited everything on HSPA+ with speeds that equal or sometimes surpass VZW's 4G LTE.It's treating me pretty darn good,thxz for asking.:p

Al Neri

Reaction score
I saw a video showing the current Nexus 4 already having an LTE radio in it. Hopefully it wasn't a hoax. If true would it be possible to use on Verizon?

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea Ok, T-mobile, need I say more, it's not the phone that matters but the network it's on, what's the point of paying $70 a month when the network sucks, HSPA+ is still not 4G LTE, if it was T-mobile would not be switching to LTE themselves, and by the time they catch up to Verizon, Verizon will be on 4G LTE extreme, whatever name they will call it. By the way I pay $70 a month for unlimited data, 500 outside the network text, which never went over 100, and 450 minutes outside the network minutes. And I get reception everywhere, including miles from nowhere in the woods when I go hunting. The only reason T-mobile is offering these plans is they have no choice, only way to get customers to their outdated crappie network.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
And the reason Google is coming out with a LTE version is because sales have stunk when you are selling a crippled phone without LTE functionality, they realized the error of their ways and decided leaving out the largest customer network in the USA was a bad business decision.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I saw a video showing the current Nexus 4 already having an LTE radio in it. Hopefully it wasn't a hoax. If true would it be possible to use on Verizon?

That radio only works on one Canadian network. You'll need the new one I'm afraid!