Router questions

Chugbug

Reaction score
We'll be switching over to the N3 this weekend with Verizondancedroid, since we will be loosing our unlimited data we had wired internet installed yesterday and want to go with a wireless router. Any suggestions? The house is 2500 sq. ft but pretty open. Will be running a desktop (hardwire). 3 smart phones, 1 laptop, Samsung tablet and a Samsung smart tv. I've been looking at Linksys and netgear and budget of $150. Thanks!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Personally, I use the Apple Airport Extreme AC and never had an issue. The AC mode is super fast. The Asus RTAC-56U is also awesome and priced well. Either is a great choice.

OP
C

Chugbug

Reaction score
I can't find a Asus router anywhere around here, I want to buy local so if there is a problem I can take care of locally and be back up and running the same day. Looking at the Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk, AC 1750 or the Linksys EA6900 or EA 6400. They seem to pretty good routers

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I have no experience with any of those but here that Netgear products are ok. You can always Google for reviews.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Hey OP, you definitely do not need to spend $150 on a router. The most I have ever spent on a router was a $60 Linksys and it supported me and my entire house no problem. If you have a store like Fry's Electronics or Microcenter definitely just go there, the price won't be much different from what you'll find online and no wait. Employees at those stores tend to actually know what they're talking about (unlike BestBuy or CompUSA) so you can talk to them for more info. The two most reliable brands are Netgear and Linksys, though currently I use a $30 off brand router in my apartment also with no problems.

Just my experience. Routers are important and you should definitely buy quality, but quality is still affordable in this case!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I can't find a Asus router anywhere around here, I want to buy local so if there is a problem I can take care of locally and be back up and running the same day. Looking at the Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk, AC 1750 or the Linksys EA6900 or EA 6400. They seem to pretty good routers
Really? If you're located in the US, any major electronics retail store should carry Asus. If you're at a store like Walmart then I can see them not carrying it, but a Best Buy should have them.

All I'm saying it's the "best for me" brand and I've helped setup and recommended Asus to many friends and family members, who all have no issues with what I helped set them up with. They provide some grade A routers and yet still remain "under the radar" so to speak. And just my personal opinion, their hardware look much sleeker and modern compared to the competition

OP
C

Chugbug

Reaction score
Don't carry it around here. Went to best buy and several other electronic stores and no Asus routers. In the end I got the Nighthawk and it's doing great. Excellent coverage throughout the house and even in the barn. Thanks everyone for the help.