Rooting

squa8181

Reaction score
I have always wanted to try and root my phone but always been afraid of ruining the phone. What are (if any) the risks when rooting a phone? And is it really worth it to do it?

Using Samsung Fascinate

ABas

Reaction score
Curious about this too. I've heard the term multiple times, but not sure what rooting really does.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Reaction score
Really, the only negative of rooting is forfeiting your warranty. You can brick your phone, but it is very difficult to do it beyond repair. I have "bricked" my phone multiple times but you can always restore from a backup, I higly recommend doing it as it opens up new possibilities for roms and extra features.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

forstir9

Reaction score
I have only had my Fascimate for a month.its my first smart phone and I have never rooted before. I used the method I am linking to 2 nights ago and it only took about 10 minutes. I think its the easiest method I have found online for first time rooters. I haven't fine anything with the root feature yet but its worth doing just for froyo.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...includes-full-instructions-updated-2-5-a.html

Froyo 2.2 thanks to the devs

Reaction score
I have only had my Fascimate for a month.its my first smart phone and I have never rooted before. I used the method I am linking to 2 nights ago and it only took about 10 minutes. I think its the easiest method I have found online for first time rooters. I haven't fine anything with the root feature yet but its worth doing just for froyo.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...includes-full-instructions-updated-2-5-a.html

Froyo 2.2 thanks to the devs

If you are looking for things to do with root, Titanium Backup, Rom Manager, Wireless Tether and Shoot Me are all great apps. Titanium backup is useful if u plan on switching roms often or if you just like to be safe and have some backups. Rom manager can help you with finding roms to download, and you should flash the ClockworkMOD recovery(one of the top options) and make a backup(farther down). I suggest Wireless Tether with two warnings, one, u need an unlimited data plan or you can rack up overcharges, and two, it will run down your battery fairly quickly. Shoot me is a useful screenshot app that is just convenient for taking screen shots on case u want to post them here or for some other reason.

I hope this has given you some ideas!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
S

squa8181

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I think I'm gonna try it out later, wish me luck

Using Samsung Fascinate

plumblucky

Reaction score
Let me know how it goes, i'm very interested and want to try myself.

Jamis0n

Reaction score
If anyone has the desire to get 2.2 dl30 stock and super clean are great works, I have used them both. Follow instructions and if anyone needs the reference sites, pm me.

rockin froyo:
super clean 1.0
dark theme

btw, this was 8pen-ed.

OP
S

squa8181

Reaction score
Just finished rooting and now proudly running froyo!

M

Mwsr

Will this wipe out my contacts?

OP
S

squa8181

Reaction score
Not as long as you have back up assistant. the only thing is you have to re sync your contacts from other programs (facebook,gmail, etc.)

Jamis0n

Reaction score
Will this wipe out my contacts?

If you are using the free vzw back up assistant then your contacts will be saved.

Using titanium back up free will save your apps or even my back up pro.

rockin froyo:
super clean 1.0
dark theme

btw, this was 8pen-ed.

M

Mwsr

Ok how long will it take? I may try it now

M

Mwsr

And I need to uninstall all my 3rd party apps correct?