Root Galaxy Nexus

alm0614

Reaction score
There are lots of threads on various forums, outdated and with 100s of comments, on how to root nexus. I unlocked the bootloader already, can someone please explain what I need to do to get root access and use root apps.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just rooted using sbenson's method. Not a single problem and it was very easy.

Mayze

Reaction score
Is there a method that allows you to root without unlocking the bootloader?

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
^^ No. Don't think we will see one. The superboot method is as one-click as we'll probably see.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are lots of threads on various forums, outdated and with 100s of comments, on how to root nexus. I unlocked the bootloader already, can someone please explain what I need to do to get root access and use root apps.

Follow my tutorial above or here.

You're already unlocked so you can skip steps 13 through 16. Do everything else exactly and you will gain root access.

If you have issues, post your questions in that thread. You'll find lots of support there.

macgyver1307

Reaction score
I tried the Droid life method but my zip package keeps getting a error so it won't install? Any ideas?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

pool_shark

Reaction score
^^ No. Don't think we will see one. The superboot method is as one-click as we'll probably see.

There is a "1 click" method. You have to unlock the bootloader first before you can run it.

macgyver1307

Reaction score
I'm running a mac and i can't get it to work right either ... just boot loops till i pull the battery after 15 mins of at google with the unlock symbol.

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Looks like there will be some one clicks. I havent seen a device with this amount of devs. Very exciting! For future updates these one clicks may eventually soft brick a device. There will be many updates from google so get to know the commands instead of waiting for a one click to be updated.

And if stuck in bootloop boot into recovery and wipe data factory reset. or flash stock images. Droid life posted instructions.

mistermojorizin

Reaction score
Looks like there will be some one clicks. I havent seen a device with this amount of devs. Very exciting! For future updates these one clicks may eventually soft brick a device. There will be many updates from google so get to know the commands instead of waiting for a one click to be updated.

And if stuck in bootloop boot into recovery and wipe data factory reset. or flash stock images. Droid life posted instructions.

what does that mean?

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
what does that mean?

It means that if the program is not updated it may cause problems. As operating systems change, the program may need to be changed, usually when a change is made to the bootloader. If a year down the road someone tries to use an out dated one click, there will be issues. Many people have bricked their device with a one-click. I am just trying to voice caution.