ROM flashing issues

tjarvis

Reaction score
I've been having issues with flashing certain roms. I know the drill, bootstrap recovery, wipe data cache and dalvik, flash rom reboot. The problem is that the only roms that will flash successfully are the gb leak, apex and liberty. Not that those are not great roms, I just can't keep a rom too long lol. With my d1 I would rotate through about 5 roms a week. With cm7 or ss4d2 or zombiestomp I get a bootloop at the M and end up having to sbf back to froyo and reroot and reflash the leak...a real pain in the butt. Any hints or clues I'm missing here?I just got this droid 2 last month and I'm about ready to put it up on ebay and get an incredible. Then at least I have rom options and an option to have an extended battery that's worth a damn. Stupid moto...locked bootloaders and "invalid battery" crap...I miss my d1...

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Which CM7 are you trying to flash?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
tjarvis

tjarvis

Reaction score
I've tried 3 different versions between nightlies and what is in rom manager...but its not just cm...its anything but apex which is my current rom and liberty which I like as well. I'm getting aggrevated that I have to have a laptop with rsdlite in reach when I want to try something new. Any one else have this problem or is my phone just a dud lol?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Which versions of Liberty and Apex are you having success with? If its liberty GB and Apex 2.0 rc2 or rc3, then that makes sense. They are GB based ROMs so if you flash the leak first and then them you will be OK. But if you flash the leak and then try to flash CM7 that you got from ROM Manager or SSD2 like you mentioned you will bootloop, they require the same kernel as froyo and will not flash if you are on the GB leak. There is a GB based version of CM7 but they are unofficial so you can not get them from ROM Manager yet.

OP
tjarvis

tjarvis

Reaction score
Well damn...that's a kick in the crotch. I know my stuff on the D1 and I assumed that you could flash what wanted...prob related to the whole bootloader/kernel thing I guess. Yeah I've been using apex rc3 and liberty gb. So I guess moving forward the only roms I can use have to gb based...? Is that correct? Still learning on the D2 and thank you for your help! I feel kinda dumb now but lesson learned. So if I wanted to flash ssd2 or cm7 id need to sbf back to stock, reroot and then flash one of those roms without flashing the gb leak...correct?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well damn...that's a kick in the crotch. I know my stuff on the D1 and I assumed that you could flash what wanted...prob related to the whole bootloader/kernel thing I guess. Yeah I've been using apex rc3 and liberty gb. So I guess moving forward the only roms I can use have to gb based...? Is that correct? Still learning on the D2 and thank you for your help! I feel kinda dumb now but lesson learned. So if I wanted to flash ssd2 or cm7 id need to sbf back to stock, reroot and then flash one of those roms without flashing the gb leak...correct?

No, if you're on 2.2, you can use Froyo ROM's. If you're on 2.3, you can use GB ROM's.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+

No worries I made the switch not that long ago too. Quite a learning curve coming from the D1 where you could flash anything on it and if you messed up it was almost too easy to fix.

You are correct in assuming that if you want to flash SSD2 or CM7 official nightlies then you would need to SBF back to froyo first. If you would like, before you do that, as I mentioned there is a version of CM7 that you can flash from where you are now. Just go into the CM section here and look for the thread. I think its titled something like "CM7-GB is Ready For Prime Time" or something to that effect.

OP
tjarvis

tjarvis

Reaction score
Rock on...lesson learned... *face palm* thanks guys! Not sure how I missed that with all the reading I've done on here and other forums...need new glasses maybe lol

OP
tjarvis

tjarvis

Reaction score
Outstanding sir I'll look it up

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
No problem. And if you have any more questions dont hesitate to ask.