REVIEW: ProClip Vent Mount for Droid

BrooklynDROID

Reaction score
So, I ordered a ProClip vent mount for my Droid. I was using an Amzer Universal for a couple of weeks, but I decided to take it out of service because 1) it's rather flimsy, 2) it will "flop" around when I turn, 3) it's ugly, IMO.

So, when I saw this thread, I decided to purchase one. It was a bit on the expensive side (about $50.00 total), but I'd rather pay more for something solid and of quality design than save a few bucks on something that will just "do the job".

So, on to the mount...

Design: It is made of strong ABS plastic and is actually rather heavy for something its size. The mount half of the assembly is made specifically for my car ('08 VW GTI) as well as other cars in the VW family (Jetta, Rabbit, etc). The "clip" part is made specifically for a Motorola Droid/Milestone. It is not made to accomodate a Droid with a case, but the back of my Verizon Shell/Holster comes off with very little effort (in a good way). This clip keeps the slider free to move, so I can keep the front of the case on and it does not interfere with the holder.

More on the holder later...I will review after my ride home. Pics, too!

TheOldFart

Reaction score
That looks very nice and a great fit on my truck. However, the Droid mount and the truck mount total $73 with shipping. That's just too much in my opinion. Now, if I had to travel a lot for business then it would be worth it.

OP
BrooklynDROID

BrooklynDROID

Reaction score
Ok. I just got home from work. Now, for the review of the mount in action.

My commute home is one of two ways. I either take the highway through Brooklyn to get home, or I take the streets through Brooklyn to get home. If any of you have been here, you know that the roads can resemble the surface of the Moon. This being said, the ProClip mount is solid as a rock. The only way you can get more stability is if you were to glue the Droid in place. Putting the Droid into its holder is foolproof; it only goes in one way. The Droid slides in from one side and then is held securely in place. If you need to touch the screen while driving, you may do so with confidence. With my Amzer mount, the phone would be pushed by my finger, which is very frustrating for a touch screen device!

Access to the charging port or the 3.5mm jack is excellent. No interference from the mount at all.

Installation of the mount is very easy. Squeeze it a little bit and insert the top & bottom tabs in the vent. It will then snap into place. Taking it out is easy, also. Optionally, ProClip provides double-sided tape of you wish for a more permanent solution.

The only con I can think of is a common one for us Droid users; No magnet. For now, I will manually put the phone into car mode while I devise a way to install a magnet.

Here are a few pics. No Droid because I used it to take the pictures :)

2009-12-16180848.jpg

2009-12-16180914.jpg

2009-12-16181207.jpg

Honestly, I'm very impressed with the mount. I'm glad I went with this, despite the high price. Then again, I wasted almost that much in trying 2 different Amzer mounts (Droid-specific & universal).

ProClip = :icon_ banana:

P.S., BroDit/ProClip is the same thing. ProClip is the N.A. name for the BroDit line.

superdesi

Reaction score
:icon_eek: Wow that is pricey. That gift card must've helped swallow the large bill lol

coolkidd

Reaction score
I do not really recommend such clips that goes to your vents.... I use to use one before during summer for my Treo 700W.... The problem is that during summer, I use the AC in the car and moisture builds up inside my Treo that the lithmus paper went red indicating that the phone was water damaged...

If you are using the vent clip just make sure that it does not get any moisture from the AC....

superdesi

Reaction score
I do not really recommend such clips that goes to your vents.... I use to use one before during summer for my Treo 700W.... The problem is that during summer, I use the AC in the car and moisture builds up inside my Treo that the lithmus paper went red indicating that the phone was water damaged...

If you are using the vent clip just make sure that it does not get any moisture from the AC....
hmm didnt kno that. thnks for the tip!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
That looks very nice and a great fit on my truck. However, the Droid mount and the truck mount total $73 with shipping. That's just too much in my opinion. Now, if I had to travel a lot for business then it would be worth it.
It's a judgment call that each potential buyer has to make. I've always found their device mounts to be worthwhile & I tend to prefer Panavise's brackets over ProClip's vehicle mounts as I stated in the other thread.

They look good and mount securely yet can be removed to make the vehicle stock without leaving holes. The system is modular so if you change devices or vehicles you only need to replace the corresponding part. I have yet to see anything comparable for less.

I wonder if they make one that will fit a Mazda 6's round airvent?
ProClip Mounting System*-*Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts

I don't recommend vent mounts either though.

Hopefully they'll make a Droid mount with a microUSB pass-through connector and magnet.

Last edited:

mrZoSo

Reaction score
Good deal! Just ordered it. I was waiting for them to make a holder for the Droid. Checked about 5 days ago and they didn't have it yet.
Good thing about it too, is it doesn't block my vent. And as far as getting the navigation menu to pop, I'm just going to get a small earth magnet, drill a hole in the holder where it needs to be and glue it in. It's in the same position as the Media Dock, just reversed polarity ;)
I'll post some pics when I get finished with it.

OP
BrooklynDROID

BrooklynDROID

Reaction score

Close the vent...?

Yes, the gift card made it easier to justify the price, but after seeing & using the actual product, I would have gladly paid 100% out of pocket for it.

sparticus

Reaction score
air vent

the ac is a dehumidifier, so it will help dry it out if anything, but during the winter if you have the heat on it will heat up pretty good. electronic going from hot to cold and vice versa is not good.

OP
BrooklynDROID

BrooklynDROID

Reaction score
the ac is a dehumidifier, so it will help dry it out if anything, but during the winter if you have the heat on it will heat up pretty good. electronic going from hot to cold and vice versa is not good.

Close the vent...

I keep my heat directed to the floor, anyway. I don't anticipate any problems due to the ProClip mount