Removing Browser and SMS in a ROM?

dayusmc

Reaction score
I have a weird question, not sure if I should post it here or in the ROM section. I am using the Fusions Rom and it is great!! But I use chomp SMS and Dolphin HD Browser. Can I remove the stock Browser and SMS app that is in the ROM Being I am using different ones. The reason I ask is because in the contacts menu if I hit the button to pull up the options for that contact (Phone, Message, email, address) When I hit the message icon, it uses the stock app- I want it to use Chomp SMS.

I figure if you uses different email, SMS, browser, I don't want to have the stock ones on the phone. Anyone have any idea if it is possible (I do have Titanium backup paid) without messing up the ROM? Thanks!!!

OP
D

dayusmc

Reaction score
I can't believe no one on here knows if you can remove this stuff or not?

-Semper Fi
From My Dinc.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Browser sure no problem, the mms.apk though probably not, at least for the D1 if you remove that, pic messages stop working. Even if you use a different messaging app.

When you click on the contact pic and it gives you options and you click on the messaging icon it doesn't give you the option of what app to use? Try going into applications and clearing defaults for the stock messaging app.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
You can remove them but it's not recommended. Just use root explorer and change the extension to .bak. If your phone works fine after that then it's safe to delete them. You could also try clearing the defaults for the stock sms app to see if it would allow you to always use chomp sms when you click message a contact.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Guess you beat me to it Tallica.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
D

dayusmc

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. So if i freeze them in Titanium Backup, that should work?
Also what about removing the mail app? I decided to just use gmail for email. So i thought i would remove tha mail one.

-Semper Fi
From My Dinc.

OP
D

dayusmc

Reaction score
I just "Froze" The Original Browser and the email apps in TI and everything seems to be working great.
I am streamlining my phone and getting rid of everything I don't use. My phone with the FusionINC ROM on it is fast, Battery life is great, and simply put works the way it should have when I got it!!