Quickpic/My Gallery

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
After reading a number of positive reviews of Quickpic and seeing My Gallery use a fair amount of data pulling my photo albums from Facebook (though I thought I had turned that off), I uninstalled My Gallery and I'm using Quickpic. But today when I took a picture and tried to open the thumbnail from that screen, I got an error message - Media gallery not installed. Thoughts, suggestions?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You can't uninstall factory applications, you have to either disable them through normal measure or freeze them with Titanium Backup if you are rooted.

You need to reinstall the stock gallery and clear it to not be the default gallery app from the app settings, then you can freeze or disable it and use QuickPic.

OP
PurpleSunday

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
My mistake. Yes, it's disabled. Quickpic was working fine with My Gallery enabled. I just didn't like how much data My Gallery was using to pull pix from fb when I didn't want it to.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Oh ok cool, re-enable it then go to the APP drawer and press and hold on it then drag it to the top of the screen where it says "More Options". Once there press App Info and scroll down to Launch By Default and press Clear Defaults.

Then you should be able disable that, then do that same process for QuickPic but tell it to launch by default and you should be good to go.

OP
PurpleSunday

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
I've done all that. Even with Quickpic as my default picture viewer, opening the thumbnail from the camera app still used My Gallery and it won't work with My Gallery disabled.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Oh I am sorry I didn't read your first post thoroughly enough, yeah using the default camera I don't think there is a way to get it to not use the stock gallery for those thumbnails.

OP
PurpleSunday

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
Any other camera recommendations? Much of a difference? I cleared data and cache for My Gallery. It wants me to set it up again. I didn't do it. Hopefully that'll prevent the fb/data use. I'm ok with the default camera app and My Gallery just to view/share right after taking a picture. But if there's a better combo out there, I'm all ears.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
A lot of people say Camera Zoom FX is the best out there, I just use the stock camera and QuickPic since I don't take pictures that often.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I run stock on both... but I don't have high standards for those things.. :)