Quick Tip: Setting Up A VPN On Android

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

There are many good reasons to set up a VPN on your Android device. Chances are you use a VPN at work. Essentially a VPN reroutes your web traffic through an off site server. This is mainly used for security reasons. You are able to hide your traffic making it more difficult for hackers to obtain your information. You can also use VPN's as a way around regional blackouts for sports streaming apps, and to mask your IP address as coming from the appropriate region for apps like Netflix and HULU.

Android actually has VPN support built right in. Setting it up is pretty simple. Head to the settings app. Under the Wireless and Networks option select "more". Then select VPN. Next add a VPN. You will need to input your VPN information provided by your network administrator. Then save it. Connect to the VPN by selecting it in settings then entering your username and password. There are also apps you can download from the play store that set up a VPN without you needing to set it up locally.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'd just like to be able to use a SOCKS proxy without root. I set one up at my house so I can use my home internet anywhere and its great.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've used SurfEasy a few times while on vacation. Seems to do the trick pretty well. Can be used on PC too. You get so much bandwidth for free, then earn more for spreading the word about it, following them on Twitter, etc. Or you can pay. I use the free version.

SurfEasy Private & Secure Web Browsing (Note: using this particular link will help me get more bandwidth)

Other than that, I use the one I already have set up for work, which is mostly the reason why I'd use a VPN anyway.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Problem with many VPN services is they reduce your Internet speed, which is the main difference between free ones and paid ones.

I use private Internet access for 5 devices(windows, macs, androids) and pay something like $3-4 a month while only taking 5% bandwidth slowdown while choosing which country or state ip I want to use.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Ohhhhh ok, because I have been looking into vpn and/or some type of security so I can add additional routers to spread my home network

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ohhhhh ok, because I have been looking into vpn and/or some type of security so I can add additional routers to spread my home network
You don't need a VPN to increase the area of you network.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I have a VPN but don't use it on my phone. I pay for Private Internet Access as well.

meltonz

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone
There is no doubt that VPN is a great utility for internet users. But at the same time, it has some disadvantages, such as internet speed reducing. What is more, not all VPNs are able to provide a direct access to the full Netflix content library (this article explains the issue). This is the problem I’ve faced a month ago. Netflix detected the VPN I've used and made me unable to watch series within the USA. So, looking for a proper service, you should focus on such features, as the number/location of servers, the speed connection, the users’ feedback.