Quick review of them all

rolandct

Reaction score
Screen protectors - just fit display part of front glass, not edge to edge. So they suck, but I got them to hold me over until I get something better

Snap On Hard Cover - the case itself is good, but not right for this phone. After adding the case I find the phone to be too bulky. I have large hands too.

Car Dock - Happy with it. The unit locks into place very well. Feels very sturdy although I can't seem to get the base and clip to lock together it doesn't present a problem. You can leave the car charger connected to the dock which is nice. Once you click your X in it charges.

Desk Dock - It works as you would expect. Solid build. However I am getting a widget error that doesn't seem to be impacting anything, just annoying to look at.

EDIT: If you get this widget error on the Desk/HDMI dock it is because there is no city set for the weather widget. Just update with city or delete/add and you'll be prompted for city. (Thanks to JhankG)

Last edited:

Speedr117

Reaction score
Haven't used the car dock, but just playing with it it does seem sturdy.

The desk dock works great. I really like the fact that the 7 screens switch to landscape mode and all work. That did NOT happen on the EVO and you were always looking sideways when on the kickstand.

As stated somewhere else, the dock is very "tight". Getting the X into and out of the dock is really hard. I'm assuming it will loosen up over time, but it doesn't fall in like an iPod does.

OP
R

rolandct

Reaction score
Haven't used the car dock, but just playing with it it does seem sturdy.

The desk dock works great. I really like the fact that the 7 screens switch to landscape mode and all work. That did NOT happen on the EVO and you were always looking sideways when on the kickstand.

As stated somewhere else, the dock is very "tight". Getting the X into and out of the dock is really hard. I'm assuming it will loosen up over time, but it doesn't fall in like an iPod does.

When you put yours into the desk/hdmi dock on the bottom row of icons does it say "error loading widget"?

brianbags

Reaction score
Question about the dock, does it leave the headphone jack open for use?

Also, so I take it you can't put the phone in its case in the dock? You have to take it out of the case? That sucks.

abean

Reaction score
I'm assuming that you can't use the dock if you have a case? I got the snap-on leather case with the kickstand and ... it stinks that you can't even use the kickstand with a usb cable connected, bad design. So I wanted to get the dock for at work, but I have to assume that with the case on, it won't fit and I'll be force to have to constantly remove the case.

Also, the dock supports both USB and HDMI right?

Thanks

heycow

Reaction score
When you put yours into the desk/hdmi dock on the bottom row of icons does it say "error loading widget"?

I'm pretty sure that shows up because you're not using the stock launcher. I'm using Launcher Pro Beta and it shows up for me. It's supposed to display the Moto Weather Widget.

I like the dock myself, but honestly the fact that it's so tight is a pain. It takes two hands and some wriggling to get it out. The Moto 1 dock was much easier to pop in and out of. I'm tempted to cut the HDMI make connector off since I'll never use it. :)

djaedye

Reaction score
I like the card dock very much. Had to use the dash mounting disk but it holds firm and is quite adjustable. I have one concern:

Does it hurt the phone or battery to leave the phone on the car dock for a long trip if you need it for GPS? This is of course referring to the extended time on a car charger.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Long press on the widget with the error and drag it to the trash can. Then long press again and add it from the widget options.

heycow

Reaction score
Long press on the widget with the error and drag it to the trash can. Then long press again and add it from the widget options.

Ha awesome! I didn't even think you could change the widgets on the dock screen! Thanks!!!
dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

Speedr117

Reaction score
Desk Dock leaves the headphone jack open. I really don't see how you could fit a Droid X into the Desk Dock with a case on since it's hard to put in in without one. It has loosen up a bit and is easier.

I've used the Car dock and it's great. The DO have an insert that the directions say to remove if you have a case, so that appears to be ok, but since I don't use cases, I don't know what will fit, etc.

The car dock works great. It's just like having a Garmin. The car charger plugs in the back of the dock, so all you do is plop (technical term) the phone into the case and flip the top holder closed. It's much easier to insert into than the desk dock.

So far, I'm really happy with all the accessories (and if you buy all three, desk dock, car dock, and car charger), they'll give you 25% off. I was a little leary of spending almost $100 for accessories, but I'm happy I did.

OP
R

rolandct

Reaction score
Me as well. After a few days with them I am happy with everything. The car dock especially.

aiwasoundsystem

Reaction score
I have my X in the snap on case and it doesn't fit in the car mount even with the insert removed. Kinda sucks having to remove the case everytime I put it in the car mount. There is a little guide for the insert that prevents the X with case from fitting. I think if I remove the guide tab with a little dremel action that it may fit.