Question about the GB Update

timelord

Reaction score
GB is sooooo much better than froyo. You'd be a fool not to take the ota

leonozug

Reaction score
According to what I've read, the OTA has added verizon bloatware and blocks rooting. It seems Moto/Verizon is working hard on making it impossible to root. Reguardless, I'm sure it will be rooted eventually.

iNfAMOUS702

Reaction score
I look forward to Gingerbread, icecream sandwich, cheese cake and anything else that will enhance my Droid X dancedroiddancedroid

I highly doubt the DX will ever see ice cream sandwich...GB will most likely be the last update for the DX

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Myndmayze

Reaction score
GB is sooooo much better than froyo. You'd be a fool not to take the ota

yes, not it you want to keep root!!! I'm under the assumption too that it has a different bootloader so you probably wont be able to sbf back if it's not what you like. I'm running GB .595 right now and it is running smooth and great, I have no interest in the ota loaded with vzw's bloatware until it's rootable and am able to remove all that crap they push onto the phone.

Myndmayze

Reaction score
Can I tether with GB 595

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
Not likely... I haven't tried it. Thanks to the people who've abused that privilege, it's said that GB would be able to track who is and who isn't attempting to tether (wirelessly anyway)

zero7404

Reaction score
595 and the upcoming official 596 havent been rooted yet. ive been running gb from 573 to 588 to 591 and so far it feels smoother that froyo. but its nothing revolutionary. one of the things i see they fixed is fb profile pics in the contacts are always up to date.

id wait a few weeks after ota to get gb 596, when its hopefully been rooted.

sent via android

Myndmayze

Reaction score
595 and the upcoming official 596 havent been rooted yet. ive been running gb from 573 to 588 to 591 and so far it feels smoother that froyo. but its nothing revolutionary. one of the things i see they fixed is fb profile pics in the contacts are always up to date.

id wait a few weeks after ota to get gb 596, when its hopefully been rooted.

sent via android

there's a pre-rooted deodexed version of 595 available. i've been running it with no issues or fc's whatsoever

zero7404

Reaction score
there is, but stock 595 is currently not rootable via one-touch methods, so there are odexed and deodexed rooted versions available. those however wont allow you to get the OTA when its pushed.

the way things are headed with verizon/moto, ot looks as though those that want a rooted phone will have to wait for team black hat or others to release rooted versions of the latest. if 596 proves to be nothing special compared to 591, then ill stay where i am since i have no issues so far.

btw deodexed roms make phones run a bit slower than odexed or stock.

sent via android

Myndmayze

Reaction score
btw deodexed roms make phones run a bit slower than odexed or stock.

sent via android
That may be true, its all a matter of preference. I like playing around with different custom roms which sometimes require you be already deodexed prior to flashing. To each their own. :) (theres also a prerooted odexed version btw @mdw but some reported problems installing it so i chose the latter)